Cases and thermal performance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by im_ashley, Jul 27, 2017.

1. im_ashley macrumors newbie

im_ashley

Hey everyone. How are you doing? I would like to know whether there is any disadvantage in using the hard cases/rubberized cases for MacBook Pro (specifically 2015 15inch). Will it affect thermal performance of the Mac in anyway?

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

Putting any physical barrier around a device will negatively impede its ability to regulate thermals. However the majority of heat dissipation is from the fans, and these should never be covered up.

So yes it will affect the thermals, however whether this is an issue or enough to cause an issue is the question. Which is no, not really. The main disadvantage is sticking an ugly bulky plastic case on an expensively designed computer, that's just my opinion though; it's like buying a nice new car then putting a cover over it...

3. Deane2000 macrumors member

Deane2000

Ashely- One thing to keep in mind is that most damage that occurs to laptops happens during transport, not during use. People are very aware of the environment they use their MacBook Pros in and tend to minimize the opportunity for damage to occur. Transporting on the other hand, there is a certain amount of any situation that is out of your control. This opens the opportunity for damage to occur.

Given this, a good quality sleeve to protect your MacBook Pro when transporting it in a larger bag is an excellent option. This way, if your bag is bumped or comes in contact with the outside world, it's protected but you are not paying the weight and bulk penalty that New Mac Smell described above when you are actually using the computer. Plus, there is no thermal concern or penalty during use.

As mentioned, Apple spends a fortune on engineering and design. Part of that is to make the laptop as light and thin as possible. Adding a snap on plastic cover that adds thickness and weight kind of undermines the whole point of paying a premium for Apple design.

If you like the idea of a sleeve, I'd have a look at something like this: MacBook Pro Sleeve

It has a vent in the rear panel that allows the processor to cool naturally so your concerns about the heat build up has been addressed. Good luck with your search.

4. darksithpro macrumors regular

As long as the case doesn't block the vents the small internal fans use to dissipate heat, there shouldn't be a problem. If the case blocks the vents it can cause damage to the GPU and CPU.

5. peraspera macrumors member

peraspera

I use a Thule Vectros bumper for by 2015 15" MacBook Pro and have never run into any thermal issues. However, I typically use my MBP on a stand on my desk that allows for all-around air circulation. The bumper doesn't block any vents and if you don't use a stand the height of the case and the feet raise the MBP off a desk or table to allow for some air space.

The bumper protected my MBP when I stumbled over one of the dog's toys and knocked it into the corner of a cabinet but it is not lovely to look at and was slightly fiddly to install.

6. jerryk macrumors 68030

I use a clear case on my 15" rMBP and have never noticed any effect on the thermals. The temps do not change much with or without the case.