Cases built specifically for the MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by greenmountain, Aug 15, 2010.

1. greenmountain macrumors newbie

I've had my new MBA (2.13 GHz w/SSD) for just over two weeks now and love it. The one thing that isn't working for me so far is the inCase neoprene sleeve I bought with the MBA. I find the flap closure awkward, and suspect that in fairly short order it will get stretched out, greatly diminishing the protection it offers the computer.

The problem is that every other 13in case I've seen is built for the noticeably thicker MacBooks and MBP's - the Air 'fits' but it rattles around inside in ways I don't find particularly comforting. Can anyone recommend cases or sleeves other than the inCase that are built specifically for the Air (or at least with other ultra-thin notebooks in mind)?

2. stevemoore macrumors newbie

Knomo sleeve

Try this

http://www.knomobags.com/uk/men/laptop-sleeves/13-inch/leather-sleeve.html/

I've cut tiny little slots into the padded lining for (trimmed-down) VGA adaptor, little USB>dock connector dongle, 3G dongle, metal Apple remote, pen, flash drive.

It's super neat, secure, has a strap if you need (I don't use it) and a proper, zip-up closure. You can fit A4 documents in it and it has pockets either side, one of which I use for business cards and headset, and the other for any ephemera I can't junk.

Very neat, very smart, and no bigger than it need be. I had a MBP for a while and it was too tight, so obviously designed for the MBA.

3. mmulin macrumors 6502

4. jrabbit macrumors member

WaterField

I've used a WaterField sleeve with my Rev.A Air, and it's been great. Works well on it's own (I got the version with a flap) or to slip into a larger non-computer bag/case (great for stealthing the fact you are carrying a laptop).

Highly recommended:

5. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    if you're looking for something that isn't fugly + expensive, but is made for the Air, is practical, snug and kinda cool looking, you can't go past STM

http://www.stmbags.com/catalog/laptop-sleeves/

http://www.stmbags.com/catalog/laptop-bags/

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Not at all "built for" but is really perfect for the MBAir.
    [​IMG]

7. stevemoore macrumors newbie

OK, so was sufficiently bored at lunch ...

... that I took a Captain Blurrycam photo of the Knomo sleeve and the stuff I fit into it. I think this thing also comes with a shoulder strap, although I never use it.

If I carry this lot, my credit cards, keys and a mains adaptor (when required), I have everything for a working day. The case fits A4 papers and such, and has a full-width pocket on either side.

I feel a bit of an idiot sharing this, but it makes my life work as I never forget anything, and it is as compact as possible.

Ho hum.

Attached Files:

8. surfologist87 macrumors 6502

I use this case from speck, i leave it off whenever im at home, cuz i like it naked.. haha but when i go out i put it on
    http://www.speckproducts.com/products/seethru/macbook-air/132

and then i have an incase to carry it... not sure which one you have, but mine fits tight, and has a zipper.. i can get pics if you want just let me know.

9. thinkdesign macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

The high end alloy and leather "Aria" case, made just for the Air, strikes me as quite near-future science-fiction-ny.

10. thinkdesign macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

The high end alloy and leather "Aria" case, made just for the Air, strikes me as quite near-future science-fiction-ny.

11. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

Overkill?

Not sure exactly what you are looking for, but I use:
    1. Speck clear case. It looks great, fits snugly, and protects my MBA against all environmental hazards. It has openings for the ports, fan, and power cord, so you never have to remove it.

2. Tucano Second Skin neoprene sleeve, that I insert my MBA into, when I am on the road. Yes, I use this with my Speck case; it may seem like overkill, but my MBA is my baby.

3. Finally, I use a bag...when I'm traveling light, I use an STM bag built for regular 13" Macbooks, when I am traveling for work, I use my Briggs & Reilly Verb roller briefcase.

HTH!

12. mbisson macrumors member

blesscheese, if Apple revise the MB Air, I plan to get a case like this, primarily so that I can plaster it with stickers without putting them on the computer itself.

My only concern is whether a case such as this causes any damage to the MB Air itself, e.g scratches.

I know you say you never have to remove it but am wondering if you have and whether you have noticed any marks/damage having been caused.

Also I note that there are some other similar cases available and I wondered if there was any particular reason you chose the Speck case.

Thanks

13. mmulin macrumors 6502

hideous