Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RevolvingSheep

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
What are the case options for the iPad 3 right now? I was hoping to chose my case before the iPad 3 is released. I'm not sure what type of case I want as this is my first iPad. I think I want something that has the features of the smart case but that protects more of the iPad. Suggestions?

AnthonySmith

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2011
Southern CA
What are the case options for the iPad 3 right now? I was hoping to chose my case before the iPad 3 is released. I'm not sure what type of case I want as this is my first iPad. I think I want something that has the features of the smart case but that protects more of the iPad. Suggestions?

You could buy a plastic back that's compatible with a Smart Cover?

Something like this: http://www.myincipio.com/iPad-2-Cas...-Smart-feather-Ultralight-Hard-Shell-Case.asp

or this

https://www.speckproducts.com/tablet-ipad-cases/ipad-2-cases/smartshell-for-ipad-2.html

That's probably what I'll do. I had book-style cases on my iPad and iPad 2, but I want to get more of the iPad feel instead of a big bulky book-like feel.

falcora

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2011
Those look nice, but i doubt they will work with an iPad 3. The case is supposed to be tapered differently and slightly thicker. I hope they come out with those same models for the 3 by launch day. I'd rather not go long with my new iPad unprotected.

AnthonySmith

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2011
Southern CA
Oh yeah, I forgot you said you wanted a case immediately.

I'm sure some mainstream companies have already created cases that will release on March 7.

Nova Sensei

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2012
Anything made now will be based on "guesstimates" i would think. Better to wait a while or buy what Apple releases officially (which sounds like it might have rear protection this time).

Be warned, iPads are very easy to drop, especially after a month or so. You do become complacent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.