Cases for my new rMB

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by appygirl82, Apr 26, 2016.

1. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

2. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

I've always used Speck cases but having said that I noticed on the rMB they do not have ventilation slots on the underside where others do.

I tend to use my rMB on a coffee table but my wife props it up on a pillow on the sofa. The other day she was complaining of shutdowns/restarts which I thought was a mixture of the case and pillow causing overheating being a fanless design it maybe more susceptible how its used.

We have now removed the case which also tends to chip on the corners very easily, my old MBA 2012 that my son recently returned looks almost perfect after 4 years Uni use so I think the shell is a bit more hardy than you may think providing you just use a sleeve for carrying around in a bag etc

BTW did you get the rose gold ?

3. appygirl82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

Yea I think I want to get some sort of case to keep it looking good :) I got the space grey, husband wasn't to keen on me getting the rose gold, lol!

4. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Told ya to get Rose Gold you will loose it in a couple of weeks :)

Speck cases (my dark one less damaged):

20160426_210809.jpg

5. LouisLoh macrumors regular

Have you considered a skin from Slick Wraps or Best Skins Ever?

6. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

I use skinomi on my SP4

7. appygirl82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

How hard are they to put on and look good?

8. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

I have this case for the previous generation rMB. Though it's made for the iPad, it fits very snug in this case, it looks nice IMHO, and i can fit both the charging block, USB-C cord, apple VGA adaptor, and lightning cable nicely. Plus, it's got a little pouch in the back for a few papers if needed.

The rMB is a little longer than an iPad so, though you can close it easily, probably not as easily as you would be able to with an iPad. Otherwise, it's like the case was made for the rMB.

Brenthaven stopped making this particular case, but I guess there's one left on amazon. It's too bad because it's almost like a sleeve with a shoulder strap which is exactly what I wanted.

http://www.amazon.com/Brenthaven-Co...11288&sr=8-1&keywords=brenthaven+collins+ipad

9. Smileyboy macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

10. Deane2000 macrumors member

Deane2000

Have you thought about a quality sleeve vs. a snap on plastic cover that adds weight, bulk and from what am reading on many of these boards, eventually break into pieces anyway? Most damage occurs to laptops during transport as most people are pretty cognizant of potential dangers during use. A quality sleeve will offer the protection you need during transport and leave the computer as light and thin as Jonathan Ive designed it when your using it. Take a look at something like this -

MacBook Sleeve

If you might go with a sleeve, stay away from neoprene (traps heat) and zippers (will scratch over time). Congratulations on your purchase and good luck keeping is safe!

11. kitt9000 macrumors member

After having gone through 3 speck cases for the MacBook, one through warranty exchange, all of them started chipping and breaking after only days of normal use. Then I bought 2 Mosiso cases (we have 2 MacBooks in the family), same as the ones in the link above, and the fit and finish of these cases is fantastic! It's been about 1 month only but they're rock solid. Highly recommended, especially for the price.