Cases for Retina 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chrisrosemusic1, Feb 14, 2013.

1. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

What do you guys use? I had a neoprene sleeve for my cMBP but that'll be too wide now.

2. AlPlPlLE macrumors regular

3. Sean76 macrumors 6502

Sean76

How is the Speck case for the pro? Does it add any bulk or more importantly leave any marks on the machine when you take it off. I'm always scared of those soft touch cases because of the fear of the actual case leaving small scratch marks when you take it off.

4. dehory macrumors regular

5. robvas macrumors 68020

Using a Speck Pixel sleeve from my 13" Air and it's fine. A little tall but that's okay. Still using my 13" STM Jacket as well

6. KPOM macrumors G5

I use the Tom Bihn Cache sleeve. It's one of the few form-fitted to the 13" rMBP and not just a rebadged Air sleeve. It's a bit tight the first few times, but it fits inside nicely.

7. ryanrhod macrumors member

I have the older version of this sleeve:
    http://www.booqbags.com/us/sleeves/viper-case/VC13-GFT

It was originally for my mba 13, but it was always a little large, and as such, it actually fits my new rmbp perfectly! Booq has other similar sleeves too, as well as bags, but I don't have experience with any of their other products.

The sleeve/case I have feels super protective, with a bit of rigidity, but isn't heavy or bulky. I then put that sleeve into either my Timbuk2 small commute messenger bag or Timbuk2 Q backpack, depending on where I'm going and what else I need to bring.

I'm always on the go, and this combination of sleeve and bag has kept my computers in excellent condition for the last year and a half.

8. robvas macrumors 68020

I really like the design of the Vyper cases especially when they used to use red accents. But typing on the machine while it's in the case drives me crazy with my hands touching the zipper, and when you close the case up it's pretty thick (I understand this is a side effect of the protection, but seems silly to use with such a thin laptop)

9. AlPlPlLE macrumors regular

Speck case for the pro is a quality product. Spouse has this for her 13"mbp. In terms of bulk it doesn't really add any. With the shell on it still fits in the neoprene sleeve. Now as for the marks left behind on the machine. Personally on hers it has not left any marks. Its been on there for about 6 months now. I do have a friend who has a few marks on his from the case. Honestly though, he travels all the time with it setting it down on surfaces other than clean flat desks,tables,etc. He's a photographer.

Basically, I would just take care of the computer, the case will protect it and clean the case every now and then. Preservation is key!

10. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

11. ryanrhod macrumors member

Ah yeah, I've got the red accent version, and I agree it looks better. Mine also has black rather than silver zippers.

Hmm, I've never used the machine while in the sleeve, I just keep it in my bag as extra protection. It's definitely good info to know it's not great for typing. I will say that I feel that the extra protection from the zipper + padding around the edges is worth any slight extra bulk for me, at least in my daily usage, but there definitely are less protective and slimmer sleeves available too.

12. chrisrosemusic1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

This is a beautiful case. Trying to find out whether they'll ship to the UK though :/