Cases for the iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by gpotter, Jul 16, 2013.

1. gpotter macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, I'm new here. I have a question regarding a case I just bought for my phone. The company is called Rokform, the case is the rokshield v3. its a rather neat case, on the back of the case it has a little rubber piece that is a non slip thing. and with the case comes a mountable thing that will stick to a car dash or wherever you choose. however the little rubber piece is interchangable. it too can be become a mount. they sell magnetic mount kits for this that can go inside the case. the little rubber back pops out and you can pop one in that has a little hole for the magnet to sit in. put your phone back in, and you can basically mount your phone to anything metal or magnetic.

That brings me to my question. How safe is it to have a magnet that close to my iphone 5? i talked to an apple rep at the apple store yesterday and the lady told me right of the bat that she wouldn't do it. A buddy of mine that is really good with all this (i trust his word almost above all else) told me that he doesn't think itd be that big of a deal. I then decided to call Rokform today and asked them about it, they told me that they have tested this method and haven't had any issues, ive also seen many reviews of people saying how much they love the magnet. My theory is why would a company make something like that that could potentially ruin the phone?

Does anyone have any insight to this? I'm really liking the idea of the magnet mount. I've mounted the dash mount in my car and i love it so far. id like to have that magnet on there too for added ability to stick my phone places, plus i work on cars pretty often and it would be pretty nice.

any help would be much appreciated. thanks!

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

magnets = bad for hard drive or other magnetically written media
    magnets = not bad for sold state media like iphones

as for the electronics, i can name a bunch that include magnets without ill effects. i mean, there are already magnets in the iphone itself. that is how speakers work afterall.

3. gpotter thread starter macrumors newbie

so then putting that magnet in my case would be ok? I didn't know if maybe it could too be like a one sided magnet? like maybe the side that is near the phone isn't magnet but the other side is (if thats even possible)?

Like the worse that would happen is that the hard drive would be wiped right? Should I maybe look and see if the company offers some sort of warranty?

I seen one review on youtube where the guy said that unless its one of those big magnets at the junk yard then a magnet isn't going to hurt the phone.

4. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

iPhones don't have hard drives. Like I said, they already have magnets inside already. You should be fine.