Cases, if you take them off alot..

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Davejprince, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Davejprince macrumors regular

Cases, if you take them off alot..
    I have experienced with every iPhone that with a case ( Taking it off and on daily a few times ) scratches my phone more than if I don't use a case at all ( And don't drop it )
    Anyone experiencing the same thing? ( The edges get damaged, by taking off my case, no matter what brand )

2. dbrown214 macrumors newbie

YES!!! I thought it was just me, but I totally agree that my phone has had numerous "chips" around the edges from removing my numerous cases over and over again. I don't recall this happening with my 4s. I now switch out my cases much less frequently.

3. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

4. Glickmandan macrumors member

what kind of case you use, i use leather case, it never has this issue.

5. mackandproud macrumors 6502

OP is referring to to plastic cases which fit the phone case closely.

The alu is very soft and the anodization layer very thin. I rubbed off part of the anodization just by rubbing the screen edge a bit too vigorously with a micro-fiber cloth.

Apple saved a few grams by using this grade of alu, but it's an atrocious decision esthetically.

(in before the 'my naked iphone is in pristine condition' cavalcade)...

----------

You're not doing anything 'wrong'; iphones are very vulnerable to scratches, whether it's the previous models with glass plates, or the current iteration with a very soft alu case and thin anodization which can't be repaired.

You're either going to get scratches by using it without a case, by dirt working it's way into the minute cracks and crevices, or simply by removing the case with enough force to pry it from the phone.

As long as apple can continue to generate revenue, they're not going to worry about scratches; they'll leave that task up to the individual retail store employees and cust. service to deal with the brave few who complain, on a case by case basis.

6. Davejprince thread starter macrumors regular

I am using some Spigen case, a rubber/plastic thing but with hard edges.

7. mackandproud macrumors 6502

8. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

9. Rhythmic- macrumors member

It'll happen with any type of case. It's debris, dust, dirt, etc that gets in there and scratches up your phone. That's why I take my phone out of the case at least twice a week and clean it.

10. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

I would suggest just finding a case you love, and keep it on! Eliminating the switching back and forth between cases will definitely eliminate this problem!

Or perhaps side protectors? I'm not sure if these are sold separately from screen protectors or not.

11. ToddH macrumors 6502a

ToddH

I take my iPhone in and out of cases all of the time and I don't get any scratches on mine. It does help however to let you know that I do have ghost armor on the sides of my phone on the back and on the front so there is no chance to scratch. I suggest you do the same if you don't want scratches.

Todd

12. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

Yeah, you just have to be really careful taking your phone off hard cases.

13. TC25 macrumors 68020

The thread title begs the question, If you take your case off a lot, why do you use a case in the first place? :rolleyes:

14. jayrflow macrumors 6502

I have lots of cases and I like to switch them out every day or every other day. Some days I feel like rockin the UAG, some the Commuter, others the Poetric atmosphere, it just depends. I just didn't know taking it out so many times scratched the phone and i do now notice tiny marks on the shiny part around my iphone 5 :(

15. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

16. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

17. sagar4995 macrumors 6502a

sagar4995

he answered that in the post above urs.

18. TC25 macrumors 68020

I am really interested in understanding...

jayrflow answered your question almost 12 hours before you asked it. How did you miss it?

The answer to your question is people like this do not treat these accessories as cases. They treat them as iPhone clothing. They dress their phones up each day the way a little girl might change the outfit her favorite doll wears each day.

19. ashfall macrumors newbie

cases with a thick front lip tend to be harder to remove. Also the biggest factor is the materiel the case is made of,,

20. Pillar macrumors 6502

Pillar

I bought two Candy Sheers on clearance at Target here in CA. for around $8 each, for I thought that was a good deal. I bought a extra for backup since the price was nice.

Thanks for the recommendation, I like this case. It fit well with the Sticker Boy back protector and front screen protector.

21. mackandproud macrumors 6502

That's a great price. What colors were they available in?

22. Pillar macrumors 6502

Pillar

Here is a pic below of the color of the last two they had that i bought, so don't know of they had other colors available. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364880186.303373.jpg

23. Willsonchen macrumors member

well, i have ever met this situation, but when i used the leather case, it won't appear again.:D

24. mackandproud macrumors 6502

Nice. I'll have to check a local target soon.

25. mackandproud macrumors 6502