Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drpthemc

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Are there any cases like the Portenzo ones? I cannot justify spending $100 for a iPad case, besides it being "cool."

Thanks

drpthemc

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
look at fieldfolio....stay away from anything with a plywood frame for long term use..

Thanks for the heads up.. do they tend to crack?

----------

Guess what ?

They're not cool

Hence why people aren't buying it in a frenzy as they did last years

Hype = over

lol .. ic .. They really should be more competitive and lower their prices smh

----------

glen_e,

Those field folios look great! super sexy

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
Thanks for the heads up.. do they tend to crack?

warp and get loose.....do a search...I put eight of my reps in moleskin cases and scrapped them all after 8 months of field use...
448e46bd.jpg

drpthemc

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Wow that sucks... Glad I asked beforehand.. And I'll use the search function next time!

DctrJ

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2010
warp and get loose.....do a search...I put eight of my reps in moleskin cases and scrapped them all after 8 months of field use...

Wow! I've seen this picture and comment in every thread about moleskine cases on MR. Not dissing you. Just think its funny. I'm actually very pleased you are looking out for us by posting your experience.

Did the Portenzo fair better than the others? I just ordered a Portenzo anyway. I'll report back if it warps. My guess is that the problem has been fixed.

CreedBratton

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
Wow! I've seen this picture and comment in every thread about moleskine cases on MR. Not dissing you. Just think its funny. I'm actually very pleased you are looking out for us by posting your experience.

Did the Portenzo fair better than the others? I just ordered a Portenzo anyway. I'll report back if it warps. My guess is that the problem has been fixed.

First post here! Hello everyone!
I have viewed this forum a few times, but finally decided to pull the trigger on registering.

Anyways, I just got my new IPad yesterday and it's still sitting in the box because I have no case for it.

I think I am going to do the same and order one of these. I love the look. I had the same hesitation about justifying a $90.00 case, but after doing the math on what I bought to protect my iPad 2, the black leather smart cover was $70.00 and my incase slipcase was $30.00. This is far and away the most visually appealing case I have seen, so I think it's worth the money when you compare it to what else is out there and how much they cost. I will post pics when I receive it.

BTW, here is what I am putting into it:

Black Morocco Faux Leather
Inside Color - Golden Honey
Enclosure - Standard Elastic Strap
Elastic - Black
Camera Hole - Yes
Stylus - No
IntelliStand - Yes

I look forward to being a part of this great forum!

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale

and that's why i post it....becasue it's not just portenzo but a clear lack of understanding how these cases work and get used by the makers. If you are business person that leaves it on your desk and never takes it out, they work fine. Pack them in a softsided case like many use here and they warp. See how thin the case is in the pic? That's where they bend and then the lower tabs become loose. The problem is design and will never be "fixed".

I am not on a vendetta. Just a simple heads up as the case makers should put a disclaimer on this type a case - "potential problems if you pack and travel" If you torque this type case, you will get loose mounting points.
448e46bd-1.jpg

bd33198e.jpg

Last edited:

DctrJ

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2010
I wonder if they inserted a thin piece of metal along the back side of the weak area if it would help. They could even route an inset slot for it to fit into so the case would still fit flush. I haul my ipad around in a soft sided shoulder bag so it could be a problem.

----------

BTW, here is what I am putting into it:

Black Morocco Faux Leather
Inside Color - Golden Honey
Enclosure - Standard Elastic Strap
Elastic - Black
Camera Hole - Yes
Stylus - No
IntelliStand - Yes

Mine will be a little boring...

Nave Blue Morocco Faux Leather / dark blue inside
Magnetic closure / No elastic
Camera hole
No stylus slot or intellistand (although it looks interesting)

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
I wonder if they inserted a thin piece of metal along the back side of the weak area if it would help. They could even route an inset slot for it to fit into so the case would still fit flush. I haul my ipad around in a soft sided shoulder bag so it could be a problem.

what they should do is use a clear plastic back inside the plywood frame so the frame is decorative and not an attachment point- or put the maroo x attaching system they use. Fieldfolio realized this and uses just such a mechanism for their moleskin case. I had an extra case so I showed proof of concept with my dremel tool and put a back inside the case:
the plastic back:
eafd5074.jpg

mounted in case:
4c6dc989.jpg

b7efca2f.jpg

I was doing a training meeting in orlando to about 100 people in a hotel and the subject of ipads came up and I want to show off the case. It was 6 -8 weeks old and I held it up and opened the cover and the ipad fell out like it was not attached. From then on, I started tracking this and my other guys had the same situation.

I have one case that has held up well but I baby it...never pack it , and use it just for meetings I don't travel to. The Pad& Quill collegiate. It's better wood than the others. (but still wood)

Last edited:

DctrJ

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2010
what they should do is use a clear plastic back inside the plywood frame so the frame is decorative and not an attachment point- or put the maroo x attaching system they use. Fieldfolio realized this and uses just such a mechanism for their moleskin case. I had an extra case so I showed proof of concept with my dremel tool and put a back inside the case:

glen e,
You make a lot of sense. I just went back and edited my Portenzo order to include the IntelliStand option. This option uses a solid wood frame backing that might help with the cracking and warping just as your insert did.
portenzo-intellistand-interior-22.jpg

blulegend

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
glen e,
You make a lot of sense. I just went back and edited my Portenzo order to include the IntelliStand option. This option uses a solid wood frame backing that might help with the cracking and warping just as your insert did.

I ordered one with the intellistand feature hoping it will have more warp resistance.

DctrJ

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2010
If you order a Portenzo BE PREPARED FOR A WAIT!
When I ordered the website said there was a 5-7 day wait.
Just checked my order status (see below)!

Current Estimation: Your order was placed 12 days ago.
One of our our skilled craftsmen will begin the creation process very soon.
Your order should ship in just a few days once it has been started.

It is typical to stay in one station for several days in the process. Some stations move faster than others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.