Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
Oh wow. These things are hideous, but most importantly completely mess up the form factor advantage of an iPad over a normal laptop.

Wouldn't use this if someone paid me to, if I was clumsy enough to need something like this I would get an insurance policy. This is akin to wrapping furniture in plastic.

DADDYDC650

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
Don’t order the cover buddy. Crap product which does not fit properly and you will also receive bad customer support and possibly wait awhile for it to ship.

omelet1978

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Oh wow. These things are hideous, but most importantly completely mess up the form factor advantage of an iPad over a normal laptop.

Wouldn't use this if someone paid me to, if I was clumsy enough to need something like this I would get an insurance policy. This is akin to wrapping furniture in plastic.

I decided against the Coverbuddy case and am still using the I-Blason case even though it's not a perfect picture. Scroll up for pictures. Basically if I'm just using it on the couch I'll not have the case on, but if I'm on the road or somewhere it could fall easily I'll put it on.

It works and it's not an eyesore if it helps.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

Haley Rowe

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2020
I’ve been looking for the same thing. A case to protect the edges that are exposed that protects the new 2020 iPad Pro 12.9 and the magic keyboard together. I’ve only found

but it doesn’t had the side protection I’m looking for and looks cheap in design.

gcortesi

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2013
I bought the original smart Keyboard version of the CoverBuddy for my iPad Pro 12.9 2018 and Magic Keyboard and found that the Magic Keyboard would not fully close. Some have reported that it would close ok for them, but my unit definitely would easily pop open. This is without a screen protector. I’m sure the tight tolerances for the Magic Keyboard design and the relatively loose tolerances for the Smart Keyboard CoverBuddy allow some to work, while other don’t work. That version DID had internal magnets, so it actually held the iPad well to the Magic Keyboard. The main issue I found was the case closure. When I heard that SwitchEasy was making a CoverBuddy specifically for the iPad Pro 12.9 and Magic Keyboard, I returned my CoverBuddy. (Mistake). I ordered the new CoverBuddy and received it today. Unfortunately, I found that they removed ALL magnets and now the case easily slips off the Magic Keyboard! Simply closing the Magic Keyboard or trying to adjust the volume settings on the iPad will cause the iPad with it’s CoverBuddy case to pop right off. Amazingly, the Magic Keyboard STILL DOES NOT CLOSE fully. It’s literally no better than what I had with the prior CoverBuddy designed for the Smart Keyboard. As such, I am returning the new Magic Keyboard-only version of the CoverBuddy case for the 12.9” iPad. It just doesn’t work. The risk of the iPad falling off the Magic Keyboard is too great. Hence, my option is now to get the original Smart Keyboard CoverBuddy again. Maybe I’ll get one that allow the Magic Keyboard to fully close. At least it had magnets in it! It’s also less expensive - $35 on Amazon vs $42 on Amazon for the new CoverBuddy.

princevalentines

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2020
I’ve been looking for the same thing. A case to protect the edges that are exposed that protects the new 2020 iPad Pro 12.9 and the magic keyboard together. I’ve only found

but it doesn’t had the side protection I’m looking for and looks cheap in design.
Please don’t consider.
I place mine on May-end and they can’t ship on time neither can they provide proactive customer service to inform on the delay.
This case use adhesive sticker hence might leave residue on your magic keyboard once you peel it off.
I guess the search for the practical case compatible with magic keyboard continues.................
[automerge]1592323704[/automerge]
I bought the original smart Keyboard version of the CoverBuddy for my iPad Pro 12.9 2018 and Magic Keyboard and found that the Magic Keyboard would not fully close. Some have reported that it would close ok for them, but my unit definitely would easily pop open. This is without a screen protector. I’m sure the tight tolerances for the Magic Keyboard design and the relatively loose tolerances for the Smart Keyboard CoverBuddy allow some to work, while other don’t work. That version DID had internal magnets, so it actually held the iPad well to the Magic Keyboard. The main issue I found was the case closure. When I heard that SwitchEasy was making a CoverBuddy specifically for the iPad Pro 12.9 and Magic Keyboard, I returned my CoverBuddy. (Mistake). I ordered the new CoverBuddy and received it today. Unfortunately, I found that they removed ALL magnets and now the case easily slips off the Magic Keyboard! Simply closing the Magic Keyboard or trying to adjust the volume settings on the iPad will cause the iPad with it’s CoverBuddy case to pop right off. Amazingly, the Magic Keyboard STILL DOES NOT CLOSE fully. It’s literally no better than what I had with the prior CoverBuddy designed for the Smart Keyboard. As such, I am returning the new Magic Keyboard-only version of the CoverBuddy case for the 12.9” iPad. It just doesn’t work. The risk of the iPad falling off the Magic Keyboard is too great. Hence, my option is now to get the original Smart Keyboard CoverBuddy again. Maybe I’ll get one that allow the Magic Keyboard to fully close. At least it had magnets in it! It’s also less expensive - $35 on Amazon vs $42 on Amazon for the new CoverBuddy.
They will release new one in July to fixed the issue

Last edited:

Superman730

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
Would some kind of bumper give people the protection they need? I don't have my iPad and keyboard in hand yet but I was wondering if there was something I could get that would just protect the sides a little more...

scoobysnax

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2016
Anybody checked out the MagEZ slim case from Pitaka? This case has the smart connector, protects the exposed edges and allows the magic keyboard to close completely.

Just saw the comments above. These guys make a case for the iPad Air 4 as well.

Last edited:

kmayburnett

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2021
Anybody checked out the MagEZ slim case from Pitaka? This case has the smart protector, protects the exposed edges and allows the magic keyboard to close completely.

Just saw the comments above. These guys make a case for the iPad Air 4 as well.

Yes, I have this exact case on my 12.9” iPad Pro using the magic keyboard and it works absolutely flawlessly. There is no issue of any kind with closing the magic keyboard or it’s operation. I can’t speak to the other cases people mention on this thread, but I can say that this case by Pitaka is exactly what every person on this thread was looking for— the case was designed exactly for the purpose of fitting the iPad, providing fantastic protection, and not interfering with using a magic keyboard. I am very happy with mine.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
Yes, I have this exact case on my 12.9” iPad Pro using the magic keyboard and it works absolutely flawlessly. There is no issue of any kind with closing the magic keyboard or it’s operation. I can’t speak to the other cases people mention on this thread, but I can say that this case by Pitaka is exactly what every person on this thread was looking for— the case was designed exactly for the purpose of fitting the iPad, providing fantastic protection, and not interfering with using a magic keyboard. I am very happy with mine.
looking into this now with my new Air, do you know if this closes well with a glass screen protector on too?

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
Hi,

I was just wondering if there are any known upcoming cases that are compatible with the iPad Pro Magic Keyboard. I’ve used the i-Blason case that was compatible with the Smart Keyboard and I was able to put it onto the Magic Keyboard. IT IS NOT A PERFECT FIT AND THE USB C CONNECTOR ON THE SIDE IS NOT USABLE, but it’s a good work-around case for me until something is released.

The reason I would want a case is that I’ve found out the hard way that I’d need some sort of side protection. I dropped my iPad Pro (fortunately I had AppleCare) and it fell off the smart keyboard and the front shattered. I’ve found that with the iPad Pro Magic Keyboard if you handle it the wrong way it can pop off the magnets on the back and easily fall. Below is a link to the case and I attached a picture of it on the iPad Pro Magic Keyboard. I put it on the scale and total weight is now 2.6 pounds.

I just got this I-Blason case delivered and have the same experience.

The usb c port doesn’t line up exactly which isn’t a deal breaker.

The deal breaker for me is that, unlike some have said, it’s not easy at all to remove the iPad, with the case still on, and use it as a tablet.

Not sure if I'll keep it but I know for I'd rather sell this magic keyboard and put the money towards the Logitech combo touch than to spend even more money on the cover buddy and still get less functionality.

omelet1978

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
I just got this I-Blason case delivered and have the same experience.

The usb c port doesn’t line up exactly which isn’t a deal breaker.

The deal breaker for me is that, unlike some have said, it’s not easy at all to remove the iPad, with the case still on, and use it as a tablet.

Not sure if I'll keep it but I know for I'd rather sell this magic keyboard and put the money towards the Logitech combo touch than to spend even more money on the cover buddy and still get less functionality.
Just to give an update to this, I’m still using the I-Blason case.

I cut out the plastic by the charging port so that is fixed. I’ll take it off when I’m at home and then use the case when I’m traveling. The reason I’m using it is that it actually provides drop protection.

Reactions: eyeseeyou and K1ri

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
Just to give an update to this, I’m still using the I-Blason case.

I cut out the plastic by the charging port so that is fixed. I’ll take it off when I’m at home and then use the case when I’m traveling. The reason I’m using it is that it actually provides drop protection.
I was thinking of modifying the case to possibly loosen it up a bit so it slides right off when I just need the tablet but I feel like I really shouldn't have to have bought the case in the first place considering the cost of the magic keyboard.Felt like I was forcing it to work and it wouldn't completely work how I wanted it to in the first place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.