Cases that don't scratch up chrome?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by xolan99, Aug 17, 2008.

1. xolan99 macrumors regular

Has anyone had any luck in finding/using cases that don't scratch up the chrome?

I went through many cases for original and 3G iPhone and whatever I choose, they all seem to affect the phone in some way.

I thought I found an answer through the Contour Hardskin but noticed today that the chrome that's facing the user alongside the glass is chipped pretty bad in some areas :(

2. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

I got the Agent18 ClearShield for my white iPhone over a week ago, and so far I really like it. I just popped it out and checked the silver bevel, and it's smooth and shiny, no scratches at all.

I think the cases that require you to slide the iPhone in and out have a lot more potential to scratch it. The ClearShield has a back and front piece, so, you lay the iPhone into the back piece, then snap on the front frame piece. No sliding, no potential to scratch it.

3. blumoon macrumors member

I use the Griffin Elan Form and so far no scratches. I'm still looking for that perfect case as well. I want a white one or a clear one without adding much bulk to the phone.
    Good luck with your search.

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Silicone! They come thin and thick and everything inbetween. Belkin has some nice ones that Apple sells in their store. Good luck!

5. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

From what I've seen and read, most cases for the iPhone actually scratch it up more than no case.
    Silicone and rubber ones are the worst, dust and dirt pile up under the cover and get ground into the surface.
    But to each his own.
    I have the 3G and the 1st one and naked on both and have no scratches save some minor scratches on the chrome which is inevitable.

6. xolan99 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I think rubber and sillicone ones are teh worst since they attract the most dust/dirt/lint.

7. ismoker macrumors member

ismoker

i believe there's no such cases out there
    if you don want scratch, you need to cover it with protection skins first.
    little tiny dusts are main cause of scratches and
    yes, dusts get into tiny tiny gap between the phone and the case.
    if you dont want scratch, i recommend you to have it skin applied.

8. Filnyyena macrumors newbie

I have had the capsule rebel (black) for two weeks now and when I took it off yesterday for cleaning, I inspected it under a lamp and there were no scratches anywhere :). I only have a film (PS anti glare) on the front, and I make sure there is no dust in the case itself which helps I suppose.

But given time any case is liable to scratch your phone due to dust and grime, just keepbup with cleaning it and use scotch tape to get the harder particles off the case and such.

9. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Interesting that we can have such different experiences. Keeps life fun.

The wifey's iPhone has had silicone from day one as does my 3G. Not a scratch on either one (yet). My old work Treo had silicone for over a year and still looks brand new. The Treo rattles around in a computer bag, the wifey's in a big purse, and my phone lives in my pockets. Not hardly a hostile environment, but definitely linty.

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

So far, my black Speck Pixelskin case hasn't caused any scratches on the chrome though I try to make sure the phone isn't exposed to grit. The only reason I got a silicone case was because my friend with a hard case told me it scratched his 1st gen iphone.

My main reason for buying this case however is because it has what looks to be a shock absorbant rubbery case. It's inevitable that my phone will kiss the pavement at some point and I would like to prevent having to pay $500 for a replacement.

11. slapppy macrumors 65816

What if you put some kind of clear tape, like cellophane tape on the chrome before putting it in one of these cases? Or something similar without the sticky glue. Anyone know of such a material we can use? That way the chrome is protected while in the case. Preventing that nasty grinding of tiny particles that gets in between the plastic and chrome bezel. Those tiny things tend to move around ever so slightly and in time grinds away at the metal.

12. equlizer macrumors regular