Cases with built in screen protectors

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by bkitchen0406, Mar 12, 2012.

1. bkitchen0406 macrumors member

The tough cases out there like gumdrop and otterbox have built in screen protectors. I have a pre-order for the gumdrop because you can use the case with or without the bult in screen protector, but most like the otter box you don't have a choice.

I was wondering how well the touch screen works with these built in protectors. I wanted to attempt to use some of the painting apps enough though I know nothing about painting.

2. Gary79 macrumors newbie

Gary79

The built-in screen protectors can be hit and miss. I had an Otterbox for the iPhone 3GS, 4, and now the 4S. The 3GS and 4 Defender cases had a great screen protector with no noticeable affect on the sensitivity or surface friction. However, on the 4S revised case, there was a gap on the left side of the screen, causing a bubble. This was quite annoying, and I opted to switch to a Pixelskin HD case with my own screen protector. I even tried to swap the case out with another Defender at the store, and the gap was the same.

I really hope the iPad Defender does not suffer from this, as I will be forced to return it if it does

3. anthrovisual macrumors regular

From my experience with the new Defender, the screen protector distorts the Retina display causing a sort of grainy texture light sheen (if that makes sense). I'm guessing that they tested the screen protector with the iPad 2, and not the new iPad before shipping. The higher resolution is probably causing the issue with the type of plastic Otterbox used.

Other than the screen protector, I think the case is great. But distorting the screen is a deal-breaker. Some punch out the screen and perhaps add their own screen protector, but I'm afraid of dust and grit getting into the cracks around the screen's edge.

I was hoping the Griffin Survivor or Gumpdrop Drop case would suffice instead, but I'm not confident if they have screen issues too.

Can anyone lend their experience with these two cases and the new iPad?

4. manicwinter macrumors member

I can confirm the iPad 2 version of the Gumdrop case distorts the iPad 3 screen just like your experience with the Otterbox. It does not distort the iPad 2. I'm hoping Gumdrop updates the plastic screen protector for the iPad 3 but I doubt it.

5. Leslielaughs macrumors newbie

Gumdrop for iPad 3

I can confirm that the screen on the new Gumdrop for the new iPad does slightly distort the screen on the new iPad, but you can use it without the screen protector. I already have a screen protector on, so I am happy not using the added protector. I sent an email to Gumdrop. Hopefully they will fix this. The Gumdrop is just so much less bulky then the survivor and it is easier to grip then the defender... Not to mention half the cost!.

6. jacg123 macrumors newbie

I have been looking/comparing enclosed cases ever since I got my iPad. The screen protector has always been an issue as far as distorting the screen. Here are the ones I have either tried or have known people that have it on their iPad.

Otterbox Defender iPad 3 - distorts screen.
    Griffin Survivor iPad 3- distorts screen.
    Trident Kraken II Hybrid iPad 2 - CLEAR, no distortion.
    Trident Kraken AMS iPad 3 - CLEAR, no distortion.

I currently have Tridents on my iPads now. Though they are not perfect, the screen protector is the best of the ones I've had experience with. This is very important because reading books with distortion on the screen gives me a headache.