Cases

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mochoa, Jan 21, 2016.

?

Best case for Macbook pro w/retina

1. Thule

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. perforated

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Tech 21

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. SlickBlue rubberized

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Ibenzer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. other

8 vote(s)
    80.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mochoa macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to give a new member a hand. I'm looking for a new incase for my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013). I currently have Specks clear case which has been ok but not a big fan of it.
    So many options; hard case, soft case, rubberized hard case?? I have to carry my computer with me everywhere, and sometimes I just leave it on the couch or bed where my kids can easily grab it. I need the most durable case I can get, computers aren't cheap and I want to do what ever possible to protect it. I've spent to much time searching for the best rated products and options, only to go into the reviews (usually the 1 stars) and see people complaining about the fit, over heating, waste of money, don't buy this product, etc.

I want to reach out to you guys and get your input, I've considered the perforated case and the Thule case but again all great overall ratings but allot of the same 1 star reviews with the same complain. I'm hoping the answer is very simple and most of you can come to the same conclusion. Really need the help, thanks in advance. Anything I'm forgetting to include please let me know. Thanks again.

2. Closingracer macrumors 68000

First rule of life: never pay attention to most one star reviews... Who knows if they are legit

3. Mochoa thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Deane2000 macrumors member

Deane2000

I agree with the one star review rule but what if a product has a lot a one star reviews? Isn't that a clear red flag that maybe this is not the best product of it's kind? You're always going to have the one customer who for whatever reason was upset with the product and gives it a one star review. But a litany of one star reviews for a single product should be a clear indication that something is up. Ignoring them undermines the whole point of having reviews and a star system in the first place. Caveat emptor!

Your thoughts?

5. Mochoa thread starter macrumors newbie

Most of the one star reviews were complaints for the same issue. A big complaint being the cases weren't the right fit.

6. Deane2000 macrumors member

Deane2000

Regrading the clip on polycarbonite cases, there are reports of problems with them where ever you look, no matter what the board or e-com site. The reason is, like everything else, you have some that are of quality and others that are junk, made from inferior plastic in poorly designed molds. Once you start stressing inferior plastic that was poorly molded, you get cracks and eventually parts breaking off.

Another thing to understand is that those types of clip on cases are tremendously over produced. The mold costs run about $15,000 so you have to sell a lot of clip on cases to pay for it. Then Apple changes the design of the MBP or MBA just a bit and WHAM, the case no longer fits well. What do you do with all those cases? Do you update your site and listing letting everyone know your selling the older design? If you don't, you get a litany of one star reviews as you have seen. It can be very frustrating as you are find out.

Have you thought about something like this?

MacBook Sleeve

No fit issues and excellent protection. Most damage occurs to the laptop when your transporting or in your case, storing it, as most people are pretty conscientious when their working on they machines. A sleeve like that would offer piece of mind and protect it from your kids as it would be hidden away. The company is local to you as well so you'd be keeping the money in your community. Can't beat that!

7. Mochoa thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome info, makes sense. I already have a case to transport, looking more for armor when out of the sleeve. Again great reply.

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

None. A case won't be of much help in case of drops, and using one could lead to more scratching that not using one. They tend to get dirt trapped between themselves and the notebook's body...

9. Deane2000 macrumors member

Deane2000

10. Mochoa thread starter macrumors newbie

I think your right. I Currently have a Specks hard case and I have to constantly remove and clean. Unless anyone has a different opinion I'm giving up the search on the a new case.

11. Ovedius macrumors 6502

Ovedius

This!

Macbooks can take untold amount of suffering before you start seeing proper unsightly scratches on them.

I had a Macbook Air for five years, it went through hell with (because of) me and it didn't have a single scratch when I sold it.
    By putting a case on it you risk scratching it way worse than without.
    Also they are UGLY AS SIN in every possible way :confused:

12. squarebreathing macrumors member

squarebreathing

I prefer a rubberized case for the screen and base. This is the one I have used the past year and a half: http://www.amazon.com/Kuzy-Rubberized-MacBook-Display-VERSION/dp/B008AZYIKU
    Some small pieces chipped off within the first year from the base part of the case, but it is still for the most part intact. There really isn't anything on these types that would scratch up your mac while you put it on. The plastic shell ones could do that though.

Are they ugly? Yes they are. However I like the rubber base part because when using the macbook either on a table or in my lap, it does not move nearly as much as without a case. There are a scratches on the case that I am sure would have hit the mac had the case not been on it. Also, any form of pressure on the back of screen can cause distortion issues that are permanent and the case can protect against that.

Macbooks arn't cheap and I think a case is a good idea to protect it during normal wear and tear over the years. It won't protect it (much) from a drop, but it's good to have.

13. alphadog808 macrumors member

What they said. Been thru that case phase and they all were ****. Naked is best. But I am careful with my stuff so if you are super clumsy maybe you should bolt your mac to a desk idk

14. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I think cases are ugly and only provide marginal protection. Better to keep your MBP off the sofa and bed. Find a way to set it somewhere so it won't get damaged. The only ding on my MBP came when my wife knocked something out of a cabinet above my desk and it dented the speaker cover. No cover would have protected it in that case. Over 4 years of living naked and the outside is still pristine.