Home Caseta Wireless 3-way question

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by hokiepokie07, Jul 9, 2017.

1. hokiepokie07 macrumors 6502a

If I install the in-wall Caseta wireless dimmer for Apple HomeKit and then install the pico on the other switch (both control one set of lights), thus making it a 3-way connection, will my lights technically always be "on" since I have to tie the wires behind the pico remote to be powered on?

Or when I power them off, will they technically be off and not "hot" and "on"?

Thanks!

2. bluespark macrumors 65816

They will be off. You don't tie the wires behind the Pico remote together for an always-on connection. Rather, you tie off each wire individually. I have this setup on multiple lights and it works brilliantly.

3. hokiepokie07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gotcha, that makes sense! I have a couple one-way Caseta switches and they work flawlessly, so I am trying to eventually get some of the three-way with the pico remote, thanks!

4. vondo macrumors member

You do tie the wires together which is what your 2-way switch does now to make the traveler active. As for whether there are hot wires near your light fixtures and you have to be careful, I don't know. I certainly wouldn't take the chance working near the lights and would turn off the breaker no matter what.