iPad mini Cash at Apple Store?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JackieInCo, Dec 15, 2013.

1. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I was hoping to buy a Retina Mini at the Apple store in the morning but because I didn't get to the bank, I have cash Anyone buy a mini lately with cash at the Apple store?

If it's a problem, I can just wait till Monday.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

3. JackieInCo thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks, I just don't recall seeing any tills there. I know most people pay with cards now.

4. tobeornottobe macrumors regular

People buy macbooks worth thousands with cash... In China;)

5. adamgbiggs macrumors regular

adamgbiggs

The tills are "hidden" in the desks that the iPads etc sit on in stores (in UK at least) I'd assume it's the same over the pond.

Adam.

6. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I bought my iPhone 4 when they came out and had cash. I had to buy a gift card then use that to pay for the iPhone. Weird or what?

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

At one point you couldn't buy an iPhone with cash - due to Apple's attempt to thwart profiteering (didn't really work). I think they pretty much abandoned that policy and if you have cash, they'll extract it from you :)

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yup, as you say. Some stores still do have regular cash registers, and where they don't, they have tills hidden away in the product display desks.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

The tills are hidden in product displays located close to the Genius bar. As for cash, I recently saw someone count out over $ 8,000 in $100 bills and the Apple person didn't bat an eye.

I've purchased Macbooks with cash and it's never been an issue. I tried to buy a Macbook with my Credit Card once, and the CC people declined the sale and locked my card as stolen. It took a bit of arguing with the CC people to get my CC unlocked. The CC people said it was "out of your pattern for purchases". In the meantime I simply went to the bank and got cash and paid cash.

I found out that you should call the CC people in advance and they will hopefully make a note of it, but they did tell me that even if you call and they make a note the transaction can still be declined. Since then every time I buy things from Apple store I carry cash just in case. The CC people hate me - I pay them every month in full, so perhaps that's their way of getting back at me. Apparently MacBooks and other expensive products at the Apple stores (and perhaps BestBuy) are prime targets for people trying to make quick purchases with stolen CC.

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yeah, a lawsuit for racial discrimination as I recall. Logic was the lady couldn't get a credit or debit card, so Apple's refusal to take her cash was discrimination. :rolleyes:

11. JackieInCo thread starter macrumors 601

12. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I remember I bought a pair of headphones with cash once, and after commenting on the neatness of their hidden cash registers under the desk, an employee told me about when a lady came in and bought a MacBook Pro with £5 and £10 notes!

Apparently the transaction took about 40 minutes after counting the cash, and then it had to be verified by management etc...

So, it is possible, just make sure you carry it in large denominations :p

13. old-wiz macrumors G3

When I bought MacBooks, I used $ 100 bills.

14. JackieInCo thread starter macrumors 601

I'm about ready to head to the Apple store. I didn't reserve it I should say, no card.

I have 1 $100 and the rest $20s. Shouldn't be difficult.

15. JackieInCo thread starter macrumors 601

I should also add that I'm waiting so late to avoid the crowds. I try to go the last hour they are open. Never seen the store packed then.

16. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

It's true, a lot of the credit card companies are getting very aggressive with their fraud alerts. I once had a $200 charge (on a nearly empty card with a 10k limit) flagged and declined until I called their fraud department to verify my identity. They got an earful and a half from me after that incident.

17. Jeilders macrumors newbie

I bought my Air the morning they came out. Used 4 gift cards, the cash I just got for selling my 3rd generation and finished it with a debit card. They never said a word about the multiple payment types.

18. JackieInCo, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013

JackieInCo thread starter macrumors 601

Got my iPad just now. I will never worry again if I have cash. Just like everyone said, tills on ends of tables and the person in charge of selling iPads didn't even think twice, cash is normal everyday thing there.

I'm loving my new iPad. I got the Verizon model because it will work will AT&T and T-Mobile as well with no hassles. :)

Just as I thought, with AT&T and Verizon, I still don't get LTE at my house so staying with T-Mobile for now.

19. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

You maybe required to show ID due to the Patriot Act (at least that's what the blue shirt told me). I bought lightning to 30 pin adapters.

20. old-wiz macrumors G3

Jeez! Hard to believe...I think lots of people are not clear on the concept. Even when I pulled out $ 1900 cash for a MBA, they didn't ask for ID.

21. JackieInCo thread starter macrumors 601

Didn't have to show ID. Just paid, she handed me my iPad and my receipt and I was gone.

22. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Enjoy your new iPad.

We have pretty much started paying for everything in cash. We are finding that we spend way less $$ that way. We have closed and cut up all of our CC accounts.

23. old-wiz macrumors G3

You still need CC if you want to rent a car or stay in hotel or travel by plane.

Still relying less on CC is a good idea. I get strange looks sometimes when I pull out cash...Even stranger looks when I pull out cash and coins. If you have an amount for, say, $ 6.27 and you give the cashier $ 11.27 they often don't know what to do with it.

24. JackieInCo thread starter macrumors 601

I don't buy it unless I can pay cash. Selling my old iPad to help pay for this one made it easier but still, I have no credit cards, only my banks MC debit card.

25. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

You can do all of those things with a Debit Card

i am right there with you JackieInCo. Living credit free is not for the faint of heart :D