Cash in Blackbook for NEW MBP'S - Necessary?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by okayjustin, Jul 25, 2008.

1. okayjustin macrumors member

So I have a Blackbook, the 2008 Model with the specs of 2gig ram, 250gb hd, 2.4ghz penryn, etc you know the deal.

I've heard of the new macbook pros and stuff like that coming out sometime in Q3.

What I do mainly on the computer is lightweight photo editing (nothing too serious, maybe not yet), lightweight video editing (for home made fun movies but no final cut, just iMovie) web browsing (a lot of this), and documents and word processing (I'm a 2nd year college), and this is the big one - music production. I run logic express 8 (bought logic studio package) and garageband (I play guitar and do a lot of rock/r&b/electronica stuff) and soon I'm looking into Serato for mobile DJing.

Now I know Macbooks are good on portability but are there any advantages of having the MBP (the new that are going to come out) besides the 2 inches and faster specs that I probably won't necessarily recognize with the things I do on a computer? I can use Macbook with an external widescreen while at home, but I wonder if the new MBP's (like 15" ones) will prove to be a lot more useful when being mobile; esp with music / music production / DJing ..

or is my blackbook good enough. i just bought him too.

any insight/ideas/ADVICE?

2. bigrell486 macrumors 6502

bigrell486

I say keep what you have but if you really want a pro bad and can get someone to pay you a good amount for you current macbook then by all means, buy a Pro.

3. illidian macrumors 6502

The only thing that you'd get a worthwhile boost in is the video editing, to be honest.

4. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

The Pro is an awesome machine. Much better than the MB. I recommend selling it soon because the price will fall.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The Pros are great, but for what the OP is doing, he won't notice much difference. Audio programs don't rely on video cards. There would be little advantage to getting a MBP. The MacBook is more than adequate.

6. raejae macrumors newbie

Second this. Really the only difference between the Pro and non-Pro (besides a teensy bit of clock speed) is the screen size and video capabilities. So, if OP needs more room on his screen, then by all means go for it, otherwise it's pretty pointless.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The thread title says - Cash in Blackbook for NEW MBP'S - Necessary?

The OP's description of what is being done on the MB makes the answer to that question "no"... it is not necessary.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

8. okayjustin thread starter macrumors member

Macbook update

How about the new macbook updates due by september (is it?)? although i guess it wouldn't be necessary so much, do you personally believe it will be nice to have? i mean, i guess my blackbook would be losing value over time so maybe i should jump on the new aluminum macbooks coming up if i get a good resale for this one. though, assuming those new models aren't too exactly the same specs as my current blackbook.

the thought of the newer macbooks sounds exciting i just wonder if i'm going to find reasons to get it, even though it may not be 100% necessary.

9. illidian macrumors 6502

Calm down. A slightly better version of the MacBook comes up every 192 days (on average).

The Centrino 2 aka "Montevina" update is set to feature:
    A slightly faster processor (like a bump to 2.2GHz and 2.5 - not substantial)
    Better battery life
    Faster bus speed (1066)
    Possibly faster RAM (800, DDR3 are both possible)
    A significantly better graphics chip in the X4500 (should be roughly equivalent to nVidia's GeForce 8400M)

Nothing radical. No reason to worry about your computer being outdated.

10. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

LED backlighting though and possibly a pound lighter (not too sure but 100% led backlighting) and to me the led backlighting is that much worth it... damnit I need a computer right now but I want to hold off until the macbook updates which I think wont be until sept.

11. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Well, I've never seen a DJ run a BlackBook set up; from what I've seen they all run MBP's.

12. Eric. macrumors regular

Video cards don't play music.

OP: Chill out. You have a very new Blackbook that a lot of people would want to have. You don't need 100Mhz of extra CPU speed with a new Macbook (which is not even remotely guaranteed to get an aluminum case). If anything, it would make some sense to get a Montevina MBP, just because it would be a noticeable upgrade. But it sounds like you don't need it. Wait until Nehalem.

13. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I know at least 5 - 7 DJ's that all run the base MB w/ combo drive for all their DJ editing software with out any trouble at all, controlling all their mixers and amps remotely as well during sound checks...pretty impressive for what we all feel are "basic computers"...