Cash plus contest gives me MBP cash!!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacsBestFriend, Jan 30, 2009.

1. MacsBestFriend macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

Hey everyone, hope your all having a great week!

With my school right now we are all enrolled in this online contest where we take an online science test every week. The prizes include... what do you know... a $550 laptop! I already have $1600 for my 2.4 GHz MacBook, which I am waiting until I can go into the store and buy it instead of going to MacMall, and trying to coax my mom into an upgrade while there ;). Right now I am around fifth place in my class in the quizes, and this morning a kid in my grade won one of the 23 laptops to be given out in the next 7 weeks! There were kids with better scores, but the best are all put into a drawing. So if I win, I can sell the prize and conbine my other cash and get the base MacBook Pro! I just have a few questions:

Is the upgrade in general worth it??? I am only getting an upgraded screen and discrete graphics card, right?

In two years, rather than upgrading my entire system, I would overhaul my laptop. When I did this, could I upgrade my discrete graphics card with the other stuff, and would this void a warranty?

Are the speakers better in the MBP?

How long is the real battery life? I often go on road trips and when I do I want to watch movies on my lappy, with some time in between. I know the old iBooks had a feature that shut down the HDD while watching a movie: is this true for the MBP? Is the battery going to get me through a 2.5 hour movie (would the MacBook beat the MBP length)?

I will probably add some more soon! :eek:
    Thanks, and have a great day! :)
    -Josh

2. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

On the MacBook Pro, only the RAM and HDD can be upgraded, like the MacBook.

You get a better screen, which is also bigger, and has a significantly higher resolution.

You also get a lot more GPU Power

Your choice really, do YOU need it?

3. MacsBestFriend thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

Really? I always thought that a discrete card was able to be upgraded?

Thanks for the other info!

**EDIT**
    i was hoping to put a 9600gt card with 512 in after a few years (like whats in the mid-level right now)

4. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

You might be better off getting an Alu 2.4GHz MacBook and upgrade the HDD to 320GB and the ram to 4GB.

I think it's integrated into the logic board.

5. MacsBestFriend thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

OK, I found out that Dedicated didn't mean upgradable. So I am most likely wrong now.

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Nope. The cards in the MB and MBP are discreet (i.e. not intergrated) but aren't module based. they are soldered directly onto the logic board.

The MB's 9400 is not comparable to the MBP's 9600. The statement above implies that you will be able to do some light gaming and a few graphics intensive applications, but the MBP includes the 9400m for longer battery life and the 9600m gt for faster clock speed/dedicated memory/faster processing abilities.