Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tomacorno

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2009
This is SO TRUE. I wore my G-Shock all last week and I only got laid 3 times. I wore my RADO the week before and I got laid 6 times!!

Well, shoot. I don't care for the looks of the Rado's I have looked at all that much. Perhaps my tastes are not that refined. But based on your data I guess I'll be getting one. :D

BB1970

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2009
People who think G shock watches are cool....

Well let's just say i'm willing to bet that they get laid way less often compared to someone who wears classy watches...

Just saying.

You go diving with a classy watch?

Tomacorno

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2009
Gym, bike riding, driving, never loose your phone (Range Alerts), meetings, swimming, at work maybe you can't check your phone, etc...

This. I usually carry my phone in my pocket and it is one of those first world problems I guess, but I dislike pulling it out just to check the time. Seeing who is texting without grabbing the phone - particularly in meetings, etc... seems nice. That is more of a Pebble feature though as far as I know. I did not view the video...hey, is this a new tag TL;DV?
:cool:

trozau

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
Appleland, USA
I like it. The 6900 is a classic G-Shock design. I like the proximity sensor that reminds you when you've gone to far away from your phone. :)

rnizlek

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2004
Washington, DC
So there are people that still wear watches?

Oh yes. Two reasons:

1) In a long meeting or other situation when I want to check the time, it's much more obtrusive to pull out a cell phone than to just glance at my watch. Way more discrete.

2) Second hand. I really don't think I could like without a second hand. When you are trying to catch a bus or a train, the difference between 2:44:01 and 2:44:57 is a huge difference. It's the difference between making it or missing it. When I'm cutting it close (nearly every day), it's invaluable to see whether I have almost a full minute or whether I might as well slow down and wait for the next one. My watch (a pretty inexpensive model) syncs against the US atomic clock each night, so it's dead on for that sort of stuff.

Sure, some people might like to get there a few minutes early and just stand around on the platform, but I like being able to cut it close if I need to.

92jlee

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
Cardiff, Wales, UK
My Sony Ericsson MBW-150 works well with my Android phones but no luck with an iPhone.
When you work in offices which don't allow mobile phones it comes in handy knowing if a call is important without leaving the office everytime.

Ikstej24

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2004
ATLANTA, GA
The people making fun of G-Shocks make me laugh. They are great watches. I have one out of the Aviator series that I use as a daily beater that I absolutely love. I have other much nicer watches but who wants to wear those every day and risk beating them to hell while working on the yard or the car? I don't. As far as a timepiece goes...they keep better time than all of my expensive automatics.

Personally, I keep my iPhone in my pocket 24/7 so those Bluetooth features are useless to me. The proximity thing would be pretty cool for people that misplace their phone constantly but that is about the only thing I consider actually useful out of it.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
So there are people that still wear watches?
Oh yes. I wear a watch everyday for the simple fact that it is much easier to look at my wrist then to pull my phone out of my pocket.

This is the same thing that people cite when they say they have started wearing watches again. I've read several articles since summer stating the watch is becoming popular once more, especially vintage ones. There is one guy I know of on eBay who sells at least 12 vintage Timex watches every 1-2 days for $30-$90. Pretty good business.

I would never buy a bluetooth however though I do own two G-Shocks and 12 other watches.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London

Well let's just say i'm willing to bet that they get laid way less often compared to someone who wears classy watches...

Just saying.

Try wearing one of you're purdy watches downrange in a combat zone.....

Too Right!! Navy Seals Attack Team Delta 6 here!...when we popped Bin Laden peaking out of that lil' doorway all my men wore G-Shocks...

Standard issue for real men, with muscular shoulders and strong firm thighs, smooth chests and great ab definition.

Here I am dressed for work G-Shock on display, look how long and hard my rifle is.

ID protected as per Blackwater protocol.

cimg6111.jpg

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I love watches, and I kinda collect them. My every day beater is a Casio pathfinder, the fishing one. Then I have some fancy ones and some rare ones. I missed out on the pebble preorders but I'm very interested in one.

I did order a strata in the meanwhile. Waiting for the pebble to drop. But this G Shock reminds me of being thirteen again and I'm not in to it. When I had one back in the day it was nearly indestructible, which is the idea. So they definitely have a market, but I'm kinda over that phase.

Although the website for the strata's says "preorder" they tweeted today that everything but a couple models are in stock and shipping. I'm really eager for a company to take the idea of the smart watch to the next level.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I have one out of the Aviator series that I use as a daily beater that I absolutely love.

Yeah, I have a GIEZ (GS-1100) sitting right here at my desk (atomic, solar, high G/impact resistant, 200M water resistant), love it, it's my "activity" watch. :cool:

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
To all the watch haters....

If you live in a uh....... Urban area..... It's nice to have a watch on your wrist. I know several people who were mugged/attacked by people asking "what's the time" and when they take their phone out of their pocket the mugger grabs it or hits you etc.

Plus in a lot of situations it is rude to pull out your phone but you may need to know the time. Meetings, church, at a holiday dinner with crazy grandma, etc.

I think watches are classy and timeless. Pun intended. Call me old school but I will always wear a watch.

JamesGorman

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
Winnipeg

Just saying.

And your basis on that is what? I own both "classy" watches and a few G Shocks. I wear the G Shocks at work because I work in wet and dirty conditions, not exactly the place to be wearing a Bulova...

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I backed the Pebble on kickstarter. I like the concept, but i'll have to see how it actually is in reality.

The problem with this Casio is the screen is incredibly small - in the 30 seconds it takes to display the sender of the email you could have just taken out your phone and read the whole thing...The pebble at least has a larger display that can show more than 6 letters at a time.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Nifty little watch. Reminds me of my very first calculator watch with the small buttons.

(*That was before I could add :p*)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.