Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigben334

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
im thinking of buying the casio exilim ex-s500 camera. its soooooo thin and i love the design. and the color is unbelievable, it comes in hot orange!!!!!! wow, wat a look!!!!! anyway, does anybody have any experience with it. is it compatible with a mac??? anything would be helpful asap. thanks a lot.

AstrosFan

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
bigben334 said:
im thinking of buying the casio exilim ex-s500 camera. its soooooo thin and i love the design. and the color is unbelievable, it comes in hot orange!!!!!! wow, wat a look!!!!! anyway, does anybody have any experience with it. is it compatible with a mac??? anything would be helpful asap. thanks a lot.

I haven't had personal experience with this camera but I wanted to share a couple of websites that I have found helpful for information about digital cameras. My point & shoot is a Canon S400 which I find excellent.

http://www.dpreview.com
http://www.dcresource.com

I couldn't find a review for the Exilim EX-S500 on DP review, but they have excellent reader forums there.
There is a review of the Exilim on DC resource: Link here

Hope that helps - good luck!

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Hey there!! I am in the EXACT same market as you right now. I'm looking for a compact digital camera. In the past, i've owned the Casio EX-Z3 and I love all my friends' casio cameras. However, I'm going to go w/ the Kodak V550 instead. Here is my reasoning however if other people have info, tell me! I'm not buying this until tuesday.

The EX-S500 has the Kodak beat in looks and thickness. It is a few mm thinner than the kodak.

However, the black Kodak looks VERY sharp. It has a 2.5" LCD instead of a 2.2" LCD. At first I was very excited by the Casio's 2.2" screen, however, it has the exact same resolution as the Casio cameras with a 2" screen, so you don't get any more information on it. However, apparently the kodak lcd is absolutely gorgeous and has nearly twice the amount of pixels as the casio.

Also, the kodak has an optical viewfinder.

Both cameras can do 640x480 video very well, but the kodak can zoom while filming.

Check out the V550. There are plenty of reviews for it online. Plus, it can be found for as low as $315 online.

In my eyes, the only real advantage of the Casio are its looks and slightly thinner body. If other peopel have experience w/ these cameras, let us know!

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
my friend has some casio camera... its 5 MP, its alright... just remember to think about the lens.... casio is known for calculators not cameras.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.