Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kovey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
I've been a long time wearer of a G-shock classic:
http://www.gshock.com/watches/Classic/G5600KG-3

G5600KG-3_xlarge.png

I never really considered it a large watch, but it's actually bigger than the 42mm version all around:

G5600KG-3
46.7mm
43.2mm
12.7mm
50.5g

Apple Watch 42mm
42.0mm
35.9mm
10.5mm
30g

With my 175mm wrist, it makes it an easy decision to get the 42mm version. As rugged as the G-shocks are, I prefer the utility of the Apple Watch and will be changing over full-time. Anybody else have a G-shock classic?

sahilpatel12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Merica

I never really considered it a large watch, but it's actually bigger than the 42mm version all around:

G5600KG-3
46.7mm
43.2mm
12.7mm
50.5g

Apple Watch 42mm
42.0mm
35.9mm
10.5mm
30g

With my 175mm wrist, it makes it an easy decision to get the 42mm version. As rugged as the G-shocks are, I prefer the utility of the Apple Watch and will be changing over full-time. Anybody else have a G-shock classic?

http://imgur.com/a/kWost there lol ill be buying 42mm also but i also bought a bumper to make it rugged for my work place :cool: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-bumper-by-actionproof-protect-the-apple-watch/x/9141169

kovey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Hah.. 42mm is definitely an easy choice for you. I also funded the bumper. People who don't wear watches have no idea how often and easily they get slammed into doorways, desks, car door.. basically everything.

largefarrva

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2012
I wear a G-Shock watch as well, and am also getting a 42mm SS with black sport band. But I'm forgoing that bumper for my watch. If it gets scratched then so be it. I'm not going to fret over it, mainly because I plan on keeping it for several years at least.

kovey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not so much worried about scratches, but I am about it shattering/breaking.

Esexx

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2015
That bumper looks pretty good!

Even though I bumped my watch against a large metal door designed to be very secure at work with no damage(just a small ding on the SS case), this might be a possibility for me.

bnekic

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2013
Cleveland, OH

G5600KG-3

46.7mm

43.2mm

12.7mm

50.5g

Apple Watch 42mm

42.0mm

35.9mm

10.5mm

30g

I love my g-shock G5600KG-3, I didn't realize it was bigger then the 42mm apple watch so thanks for sharing. I'll be getting the sport watch in 42mm for the first generation.

pukrnukr

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
Roc
The bumper looks ridiculous on anything but the sport band, but I'm sure it will definitely help. I usually wear a white g shock 5600 g-lide. A lot of the white paint has scraped off the face from bumping into things over the past few years. I have a few other g shocks in different colors and styles, and a couple nicer watches. The apple watch will be taking the place of the g shock and jawbone up24 I wear on most days. I was surprised that the 42mm is slightly smaller than the g shock 5600s. Hopefully that will mean it won't get scratched as fast. My bigger g shocks have taken more wear and tear even though I've worn them less.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Reminds me that Steve Jobs was a big admirer of the G-Shock back in 1998:

1998_steve_jobs.png

He used it as an example of something selling because of great design.

He also mentioned that the average American at that time owned seven watches!

(I presume he was including old ones in drawers ?!)

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Hah.. 42mm is definitely an easy choice for you. I also funded the bumper. People who don't wear watches have no idea how often and easily they get slammed into doorways, desks, car door.. basically everything.

Well said!

I've got a GW-3500B currently and I've been a long time G-Shock wearer for that actual reason-I do seem to regularly bump it on doorways etc.

gw3500b-1a_large.jpg

I'm planning on getting either the Sport or the Watch, but I worry that moving from a G-Shock makes me more susceptible, as I currently don't really have to be "careful" as the G-Shocks are pretty bulletproof!

jwball

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2008
I have the three eye gshock and was surprised how much smaller the 42mm AW is dimension wise. It has confirmed to me that 42mm is the way to go.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
Anybody else have a G-shock classic?
I used to have THE original G-shock from the mid-80s, but the display glass cracked spontaneously while on a sun-baked vacation to Crete, and after a great number of years the rubber armband rotted as well, rendering it all but useless. I believe I eventually threw its carcass out, or perhaps the main watch module might still sit in a drawer somewhere, I'm not sure. What a shame though, I wish I still had that watch (intact), it was pretty awesome.

The battery sure lasted a ludicrously long time though, at least ten years went by before the first change. ;)

Had a bunch more G-shocks after that. Tough, heavy watches have always appealed to me, and aspects of that remain with the Apple Watch as well. It's far more stylish and well-made than any G-shock ever was, but the physical presence is the same. That stainless casing and the round back pressing into my wrist will undoubtedly harken back to the feel of that first G-shock for me.

I'm quite excited, I am somewhat embarrassed to admit. :p

kovey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Sad to see my G-shock go, but perhaps I'll still use it on occasion.

Milsy

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2015
Well said!

I've got a GW-3500B currently and I've been a long time G-Shock wearer for that actual reason-I do seem to regularly bump it on doorways etc.

I'm planning on getting either the Sport or the Watch, but I worry that moving from a G-Shock makes me more susceptible, as I currently don't really have to be "careful" as the G-Shocks are pretty bulletproof!

I have this exact one also, it's my favourite watch to wear weekends and holidays as it handles anything.

I still plan on wearing it on holidays etc when I know I'll be in water, while my Apple Watch charges ready for the night out. It's one of the reasons I'm not too bummed out that the AW is not waterproof :)

kovey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
So did any Gshock users get a try on appointment? Comparisons?

kovey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
i've sold 8 G-shocks in last week. i have 2 left, i will try and sell them this upcoming week....i can't wait to get my Apple Watch

Wow, 8. I sold 2 and have 2 left. I'm keeping one for sentiment.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2006
California
Reminds me that Steve Jobs was a big admirer of the G-Shock back in 1998:

View attachment 537886

He used it as an example of something selling because of great design.

He also mentioned that the average American at that time owned seven watches!

(I presume he was including old ones in drawers ?!)

This thread is funny since I was wondering if others are doing the same since I am "replacing" my G-Shock that I wear to the gym/hiking/etc. My G-Shock is literally the exact model that you posted with different colors. Grey/Black/Yellow. I've had it for 20 years and it works perfectly still. Afraid, Apple's watches won't last as long as G-Shocks but we will see. I pre-ordered a 42mm space grey sport.

bursthead

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
$_57.JPG

My baby right there. It's going to be a sad day not taking my watch out. But i'm happy to finally have a watch that integrates with my phone.

kovey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
For any of those curious, here's a comparison shot of the Spigen Rugged Armor case on my 42mm Apple Watch Sport Space Gray. My wrist is 175mm:

SvK5llM.jpg

DeCR0wj.jpg

rukFNR2.jpg

sorSDkZ.jpg

gThNXqt.jpg

5IbGFqV.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.