Casio WK3800 Keyboard compatibility

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by mickpark, Jun 17, 2007.

1. mickpark macrumors newbie

I am interested in a Casio WK3800 keyboard. It has no midi in/outputs, only USB. The box, manual and staff say it is not Mac compatible. An ad for Apples' Garageband says any USB keyboard will work, "Just plug and Play!"
    I am doubtful. Can someone shed some light on this issue? Is Casio dumb enough to neglect Mac support? Help!

2. minton macrumors member

I've tested it and it doesn't work. I still think it's a fantastic keyboard - most people don't realize that there is a sampler onboard (224 user roms) which is a unique feature now that hardware samplers are becoming extinct. You can use your computer to cut up samples and then just dump them onto an SD card & pop them into the keyboard. Best of both worlds.

P.S. Yeah it's stupid that Casio is screwing a large contingent of their users. I have the key lighting keyboard and I think I'll write up some useful tips (streaming midi from your computer to use it as a (lighting) player piano.) Also using Smartscore to scan in scores, convert them to midi for use on the keyboard. Smartscore is available for the mac, but alas my tutorial will have to be for windows users only.