Cassete to MP3

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by msarway, Sep 24, 2007.

1. msarway macrumors 6502

msarway

i have some cassette tape that i want to convert to mp3 with good sound quality can anyone recamend how to do it. is there a service or a piece of equipment please let me know where to begin.

thank you all.

2. Carrot007 macrumors regular

Carrot007

I'm sure there are many services that would do it for you. It's no different to converting vinyl though, very easy to do yourself.

Just connect the tape deck to the line in on your machine (you may need a USB audio in adaptor) and then find some software to record and away you go.

I recomend keeping the raw files (or flac/apple lossless/whatever lossless method you like) about so if you want to filter them differently in the future you do not have to either re-do the entire process of suffer the horrible degradation of using an mp3 as input in audio fiddling.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

4. msarway thread starter macrumors 6502

msarway

Thank you but this only works on windows pc's i need spomething for mac's

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

actually, it is. vinyl needs its own amplifier, and for cassettes i recommend boosting the signal some 18 dB to get decent levels. most people don't have mic pre's lying around (though some here might), but if you go straight into line level, you're taking a consumer level out to a pro level in and you'll get a weak signal.