Cassette help

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rye9, Aug 9, 2007.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

How can I make old cassette tapes into CD's? I have a stereo which lets me go in reverse and record tapes from CD's, however how do I go from tape to CD? Any way using my iBook even?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Take a line output from the cassette player or the receiver (NOT the speaker output!), and use a 2xRCA to mini stereo plug cable to put it into the line in of your Mac. Use a program like Audacity or GarageBand to capture the sound, then burn it to a CD as audio files. Importing the tracks into iTunes is a convenient way to assemble and burn them.

The next step up is to get an interface, starting with the Griffin iMic for about $60 and going up from there, which can get you better conversion quality.

The iMic has some convenient software called Final Vinyl for importing music.

3. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

Yikes I'm not very knowledgable... so I take a cassette player, and take a cable and run it to where?

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The line in jack of your Mac - it is a 3.5" stereo jack. Consult the user's manual for your machine for its exact location.

5. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier