Castlevania Order of Ecclesia (DS)

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Chone, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

The game has been out for a week now and nobody is talking about it? :rolleyes:

I've been playing it a lot recently, it's a really great game, the monsters and levels are pretty interesting and combat is pretty fluid though I feel the glyph system is overly simplified and a step down from the soul/skill-magic system from the previous two games.

The difficulty is way up though and bosses are definitely more fun because most of them (with the exception of Blackmore) are not cheap.

So far I don't think it's better than the previous two games but I still need to finish it (I'm fighting Dracula now) but it's still an amazing game, the great art style from Aria is back and the graphics are more polished, the music is catchy and fitting but hopefully they included some classic Castlevania tracks like Vampire Killer, Bloody Tears, Beggining, etc (so far I've heard no classic tracks, not even on the records).

So... what do you all think of the game?

2. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I was busy with work and Dead Space, but one of my clients ordered me a copy on 10-21 and it shipped on the 25th, so I'm patiently waiting for it to show up. :)

This month has been a GREAT month for gaming. :)

3. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I got my copy btw. I only played up to the the that magnet rune thing -- I forget what they are called. Anyways, I'm going to give this game the time it needs after I catch up on some more projects this week

4. Chone thread starter macrumors 65816

Chone

That's the Magnes glyph, the game really picks up at 50% rate, not gonna spoil it for you but the first half feels like an overextended tutorial and character development stage.

I'm having a blast with this game, the combat is just loads of fun but Shanoa is a shallow character (her backdash is awesome though), the series really needs a Belmont or a Dracula derivative in the lead (Soma/Alucard).

However, the game is different enough from DoS and PoR that it feels fresh and shows that the series has not hit a stale point just yet, I just wish the game made more concessions to the Castlevania series like music (come on, Dawn of Sorrow had all the classic castlevania tracks and I think PoR had them as records), game characters (no reference to the belmont clan or vampire killer whatsoever) and castlevania (it's there but it's not as prominent in the game as it should be).

Even with Dead Space, Far Cry 2 and Fallout 3 on my computer my DS has been getting more attention ;)

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Do want this game. Not seen it in shops either, or at least in Stoke's Gamestation and GAME. I got all excited and jazz when I saw the Castlevania name but it was that PoR.
    B-sides. Too busy for gaming at the mo. Though I can't friggin wait for this.

6. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Com on MR. Jimmi, PLAY the PoR! :p

I'll get back to this game by middle of the week hopefully. It's just like the other Castlevania games for me, where as I'm at that early point where I'm not familiar with how the game works or why one thing is better than another.

Why would you buy FC2 Chone? :eek:

7. Chone thread starter macrumors 65816

Chone

I thought it looked pretty great from the previews and I loved the premise even though it didn't have anything to do with the original Far Cry (the real Far Cry 2 is called Crysis :)).

However the FOV is all messed up (thankfully there's a fix) and there's console-itis all over the place and the game just didn't capture me but there's some pretty cool concepts implemented in the game, I'll revisit it when I have nothing else to play because I might as well enjoy the game if I bought it, maybe it's actually good ;)

The bonus character on Ecclesia (not going to spoil who it is) is pretty cool but I'm still baffled about how critics are comparing this game to Symphony of the Night, I don't think it even tops Portrait of Ruin, let alone SotN, the game has almost nothing to do with Castlevania aside from the gameplay formula, the enemies and Dracula, the Belmonts are only vaguely referenced and Shanoa is a very empty character but the monster and level design is awesome and probably what makes the gameplay feel fast and fluid despite the overly simplified and dumbed down glyph system.

8. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Bleh, just return it. :eek:

I just need to catch up on my work, because I always get sucked into these games. Blah dumbed down, so there's no COOOL soul weapon upgrade like the first one?

9. XianPalin macrumors 6502

XianPalin

I'm in the same boat - I've gotten it but still haven't gotten to put much time into it. Too many games.

10. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I've been playing it too and just at that 50% marker that people talk about. I just have a boss to beat before moving on to the other half I think.

I shouldn't say before I've completed it, however I can be fairly confident that it's not as good as Dawn of Sorrow — the best Castlevania game period (just beats out SotN for me :)) — but I like it more than Portrait of Ruin for sure. While there isn't really any classic BGM track remakes, the original music it has is very good, better than PoR had. And the art is a huge step up from the generic anime style.

The glyphs are not much more than a replacement for the weapons of the previous games, though there's nothing wrong with that and it allows for some more interesting types of weapons/elemental magic. I'm glad they didn't include any gimmicky touch screen feature like the seals in PoR but it really feels like the Magnes glyph should be able to use it (unless it can and I just never tried?).

Also: Owl buddy! Though I can't tell if it's supposed to be able to level up? Mine's still level 1.

11. Chone thread starter macrumors 65816

Chone

The art style is indeed a big leap forwards and finally a throwback to Aria's great art (though it's done by different artists) and the music is great but being a huge Castlevania fan hearing Vampire Killer always sends a chill down my spine :)

The glyphs are a simplified combination of magic and weapons in one system, it's not bad but the Soul system and even the Skill-Magic system from PoR were much much better.

I don't think the Magnes glyph can use the touch screen but the extra character unlocked after beating the game uses the touch screen for one of its abilities.

The series has drifted enough already though, it's time to get back to Belmonts and the Vampire Killer or the equally-cool Soma/Alucard characters.

12. Automatically macrumors newbie

anyone else find that its alot tougher then previous versions? This isnt a complaint more so just wondering if people that played castlevania OE died more frequently then in past versions? maybe im getting too old.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I thought it was harder at first but I'm not so sure now. The enemies seem to have more health when you're at a lower level but the level design in simpler (until the last area), the magical tickets make it ultra easy (probably too much so. it doesn't have the same sense of "should I continue or head back to the save room?" that the other games have). Maybe I'm just getting better at the series but finding enemy weak spots and how to evade them seems a lot easier.

And now that I'm level 70 or something it's just too easy, can run through most enemies to kill them! :eek:

14. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

It's EASY, because you're level 70... DUH.. :p :D

But starting as a tred, this game is noticeably harder than the other games. Just getting to the first village was a arse-kicking.

15. Automatically macrumors newbie

lol...

Good it wasnt just me... :) I enjoy the challenge dont get me wrong just seems a bit tougher.