Casual Gaming on a MacBook Pro with nVidia Graphics

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aquilc, Jan 18, 2015.

1. aquilc, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015

aquilc macrumors member

Hi, today I played Hitman Absolution on my MacBook Pro (mid 2014, with nVidia Graphics)

The game played smoothly with High settings.

However it got very hot in a couple of minutes (10 - 15mins), and the fans started to make some noise (first quiet noise, then a loud noise - only a couple of moments).

Can someone offer me some advise if I should or should not play some demanding games like Hitman Absolution on my MacBook?

I do not plan to play very long hours on it only an hour or 2, 3 times a week (maybe).

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

That's normal. Games push CPU's and GPU's to the max. The fans are operating as they should. You might want to consider lowering your settings from high to see if that reduces the heat.

3. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Play all you want and don't mind the heat. You paid 2.5k for a very fancy laptop. It can handle it.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I've been playing BF4 on my late 2013 15" rMBP with 750M on a mix of high and ultra, and it's been running smooth to this day. Heat is normal.

5. ScholarsInk macrumors regular

Really? I've played that game at high settings without trouble on the 2012 model...

6. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

This won't help it run cooler, just faster.

And yes, noisy fans and heat are pretty normal, it's not a gaming laptop. Live with it or get a console ;)

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

You ask for power.

Power generates heat.

Fans ramp up to extract said heat.

I don't see where the problem is? Your computer is behaving as it should. It's fine for it to get hot, should it become too hot for its own good, it'll shut down.

8. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

Been gaming 6hrs a day atleast 3 days a week if not double that since I got mine in November 2013. Had to replace the power supply last month but other than that the system has been solid, never gone wrong and the powersupply had coffee spilled around it so that may have been the cause.

Don't worry about pushing these things, they are well built.

9. aquilc thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for sharing your experiences and advises. It's glad to know that my expensive laptop is working as it should :)