Casual Hardcore

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Toxsin, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Toxsin macrumors newbie

I am not a hardcore gamer by any means. But there are a select few games that I want to be able to play for sure. My primary use for my laptop will be school but because I do not have/want a desktop I also confide in it for some entertainment. That being said I know the requirements have not been released for Diablo III but this is a game that I want to make sure my MBP can handle without being overkill. I've decided on a 15" but don't know if I should go with the high-end specs or if the low-end will suffice. Anyone with any insight or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

2. bossmanjunior macrumors member

bossmanjunior

when i first saw the name of this thread i wasnt sure if it was about computers

i would go with the better graphics card if i were you though

3. Toxsin thread starter macrumors newbie

Lol! Nice attention grabber!;)

4. nsanch4 macrumors newbie

I am in the same boat, but im actually interested in the 13 inch entry level. the only thing holding me back is the fact that im not sure if diablo 3 will play (low setting or medium) in the 13 inch... I am by no means a hardcore gamer but i LOVE diablo and want to make sure that i can play the game. You guys think diablo 3 will be playable on low or med in the 13 inch?

oh and im a switcher from pc to mac. sold my 14 inch envy with ssd for a mac and im praying that i didnt make the wrong move

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Blizzard games tend to run on the low side of things as far as system requirements go. You'd be safe with the low end, in my opinion, but you cannot have too little FPS when on bnet :p

6. Toxsin thread starter macrumors newbie

/agree and I plan on putting ram and an ssd in it but was really more concerned with the graphics card. Don't want it to look like poop but like I said I don't want it to be overkill either.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

I don't think it would be unwise to get the higher end card, just to be safe. D3 is rumored to come out Q4 2011...

8. twotwo11 macrumors member

I just got the casual hardcore joke a couple seconds after reading this post.:p

Anyways, the game will have a higher system requirement than SC2, but should be similar. So if you can play SC2 on high or med, then it will likely run. Will you be running on windows or mac?

9. nsanch4 macrumors newbie

This is a stupid question, but i was wondering what the acceptable fps is for a game...

10. Toxsin thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac

11. snaky69 macrumors 603

As far as the human eye goes, 24fps is all that is needed for us to see fluid motion, past that, anymore is candy.

12. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

Subjective, but typically anything over 60 and it is not noticable because the monitor is usually restricted to 60hz. For me a solid 30fps makes me happy!

13. nsanch4 macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reps:) not trying to hijack this thread but its almost the same topic anyway. you guys think diablo 3 would be playable at least on low/med on hd3000 of 13inch?

14. twotwo11 macrumors member

Since Diablo III isn't out yet, I will base this on numbers. I have come to the conclusion that the lower 15 inch mbp will probably get low-mid with resolution lower down a bit and the higher end wil probably get mid-high with resolution lower. Just my two cents, results can subject to change when it is release.

15. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Wouldn't be surprised if it can. Blizzard games are nice in that they run very well even on ok'd machines.

16. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

At the rate they're going, the current Macintosh line will be obsolete by the time Diablo 3 is released. :rolleyes:

17. twotwo11 macrumors member

+1:d

18. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

i like to indulge in a bit of hardcore myself....some may even say casually.

19. wfj5444 macrumors 6502

I think the SSD might even be more important of an upgrade.

I would personally wait and see how the Intel 3000 performs (Barefeats is doing a 3D gaming test next week). Its all about return on increase (investment).

The HD is the slowest part of the computer by an order of magnitude or two more like. So speeding it up will most likely get you the best 'bang for the buck' unless the Intel is really bad.

20. leman macrumors 604

I am mostly sure it will play fine on the Intel HD 3000. This IGP is about (or maybe already has) to become a baseline standard for game developers because it sets a reasonable minimal graphics requirements of which virtually every future machine will be capable of. This was not possible earlier because old Intel IGPs were just too weak.

Anway, we are talking blizz here, and all modern Blizz games can be played on HD 3000. Diablo 3 won't be an exception.

21. Toxsin thread starter macrumors newbie

:d lol!!!

22. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

:
    :D

I was quite disappointed with this thread- not what I clicked for!

23. Toxsin thread starter macrumors newbie

Bumping for more opinions about the 2 15" MBPs.

24. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

I will post some next week when mine arrives, i went for the top 15" model.

I am currently using a 13" aluminium macbook from 2009(9400m chip). It plays starcraft2 decently at low or low/medium settings. WoW runs on medium as long as shadows and sun shafts are off.

I was surprised how well starcraft ran apart from obvisouly using worse textures. Blizzard are good at getting there games to at least run on a basic playable level on just about any hardware, it wont look amazing but you will be able to play it. I can only imagine diablo3 will be the same, it may look amazing on full settings but it will still be perfectly playable on low settings.