Cat 5e vs Cat 6

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pastrychef, Apr 2, 2008.

1. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Does anyone have any links to tests that compare Cat 5e vs Cat 6 cables in a gigabit ethernet environment? I'm just wondering if there's any advantage to upgrading. Thanks.

2. OmarM macrumors newbie

Cate5e only support 100Mb and Cat6 support 1Gb...that's all there is to it. If u got gig then use gig cable...simple as that...unless u dont need the bandwidth, then cat5

3. izibo macrumors 6502

Incorrect, Cat5e supports gigabit speeds. You would only see a difference (between 5e and 6) if you were running longer lines since Cat 6 runs at up to 250 Mhz.

Now, if you wanted to run 10GBit ethernet, that would be a different story. But I'm guessing that gigabit should suffice for the time being.

4. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

i agree just use cat5e. cat6 realistically won't give you any advantage..

5. pastrychef thread starter macrumors 601

pastrychef

Yes, I currently only have a gigabit network. However, I notice (through MenuMeters) that transfers speeds fluctuate quite a bit and was wondering if replacing my Cat 5es with Cat 6es would improve/stabilize speeds.

Currently, transfers usually hover around 40-44MB/sec. Does that sound right?

Thanks.

6. NoNameBrand macrumors 6502

That's probably the limit of your MacBook's disk speed - I hit the limit on mine when I send files to/from my G5 over GigE.

7. pastrychef thread starter macrumors 601

pastrychef

Thanks for the info!