Cat crashed Time Machine

Discussion in 'iMac' started by instarmac, May 21, 2012.

1. instarmac macrumors newbie

All
    I had a bad application install and I was doing a system restore from a Time Machine backup. After a couple of hours the restore was at about 30% when my cat jumped on the desk and sat his butt on the escape key. It killed the restore. Now if I try to start the restore over, it gives me an error that it can't run because certain files are locked. Unfortunately, the system neglects to tell me which files they are. Am I hosed?

Thanks for any advice - IM

2. KootenayJim macrumors newbie

KootenayJim

dr:confused:at them cats
    wish I could help you- some one should come along though- hang in there

3. slicke101 macrumors member

Take better care of your cat and I bet none of this wouldve happened. Cant hela you with anything else. Them cats be evil creatures.

4. Stolz25 macrumors member

It takes a lot to stand out as unhelpful on the Internet, but nicely done.

5. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

6. slicke101, May 21, 2012
    Last edited: May 21, 2012

slicke101 macrumors member

You have been even less helpfull to op. At least i tried to cheer op up. It does not take a lot to shoulder the shining armor of forum police, pointing out pointless posts and in the progress adding even more spam to the thread.

Edit: I mean how can you not giggle at the thread title.

7. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

8. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

Although like most people posting in your thread I have no useful advice, I come bearing cat based humour courtesy of The Oatmeal...

9. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

I have determined that my cat is trying to kill me. I may have a problem.

We have two cats and they love external HDDs (like the picture of one of the cats napping on our external USB drive). They also have a love for the mac mini.

I'm not much of a cat person (my wife is), but I can't help but think they're cute when they try desperately to sleep on top of the mac mini but keep falling off because they don't fit.

As for a helpful bit of advice - keyboard drawers are your friend with cats. It's amazing what the feline friends can do by just walking across a keyboard.

10. zulkiflim macrumors regular

zulkiflim

Heya

I found out the best way to keep cats out of my media centre is to use scented candels. Just leave a few pieces lying around your device.

I am using tea tree scented candles so ..

About your problem..

Are using Lion?
    Can you install a fresh lion install? and then later try to restore just the application.

11. instarmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. I was afraid there wasn't going to be an easy fix. But no worries, I'll eventually do a re-install. I created a new administrator account and am using it for now. Cats are great creatures, but they have no respect for private property - well, I suppose they think everything is their private property :)

Appreciate the comments -
    Rt

12. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

Yeah, I now instinctively move my keyboard up under the chin when the biggest of our two cats jumps up onto the desk if I am not typing.