Cat+MBA= problems?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by gonnabuyamacbsh, Feb 28, 2011.

1. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

finally got my 11" mba so I'm a little paranoid with protecting it. I have a 2yr old unusually large orange tabby. when the laptop is closed and on my bed he likes to lie on top of it. even sometimes when it's open and I leave for a few minutes he runs and lies on the laptop like this
    not a pic of my cat but this is how he likes to lie on it too
    [​IMG]

I'm pretty sure I read on these boards before that pet hair screwed up their macbook. should I be worried? Every chance I get I try to prevent him from getting on it but every now and then he's successful. He's even kind of obsessed with it now because he knows I don't want him on it. :p

but seriously though, should I be worried? can the cat hair go through the keyboard, into the laptop, and clog up the fan or something?

2. altecXP macrumors 65816

It's probably because its warm and feels good. I'd keep it up high where he can't get it to it.

3. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Long as he doesn't scratch at it, i cant see it would do any harm really. He probably sees you using it alot and wants in on your attention!

4. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

My Cat Experience

My cat liked to sit on my original Rev. A MBA precisely as you show in your picture. I thought that it was from the warm keyboard.

I made a point of keeping her away from the keyboard because I was worried about the cat hair build up (she also liked to rub her chin on the corner of the screen...also undesirable).

I have now upgraded to the 11.6" MBA model and do not have the problem any more. The newer model does not generate as much heat but I don't give her the chance much either. Maybe the lack of a backlit keyboard keeps her away (she misses it too!). :)

5. altecXP macrumors 65816

Have you ever seen cat air in a laptop?

6. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

You may have a Mac Book Hair.

7. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

8. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    too funny:D

9. barebackbadger8 macrumors 6502

barebackbadger8

is it me or have i missed summat? aint that a macbook pro?

10. The Catalyst macrumors 6502

lmao

11. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Yes, you missed the sentence immediately above the picture:
    To the OP:
    Just close the lid.

Yes, you'll get cat fur in there, not a very good thing, but mostly from an 'ick, this is nasty to clean' perspective. Over time, cat fur could clog the fans - I'm not sure how the airflow runs through the new Air, if it draws in through the keyboard, it'll happen faster.

12. barebackbadger8 macrumors 6502

barebackbadger8

sorry lol been an hard day for my eyes

13. gossip5 macrumors newbie