Cat spilt water on my macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by laurzwick, Jun 24, 2010.

1. laurzwick macrumors newbie

So unfortunately, my cat pushed a cup of water on the floor which, I stupidly put my mac. So it has been a few days and i have tried to let it dry and i had a fan blowing on it over night and the next day it worked fine now it starts up and the screen gets ready to go but then all of a sudden it turns black pretending to "sleep" the little flashy thing in front of the computer tells me that it is sleeping as if the top was down. should i take everything out? like unscrew everything out? make it more dry?

ughh:mad::mad::mad::mad: I am most worried that the stuff i had on it. Could I get it back if the computer is totally broken?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

It depends on how wet the computer got, but I doubt that if it was just a small cup splashing over the computer that it would cause serious damage to the hard drive. I would let it completely dry out before trying again.

4. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

If its only a little liquid, it'll probably be fine. My MacBook has had Relentless spilt on it (energy drink) and despite that, the only damage is one key now sticks a little bit, but my wireless keyboard fixes that issue.

5. fluffyx macrumors 6502

Your hard drive is fine. Your data can easily be transferred to another computer.

It sounds like the portion of your Mac's logic board nearest the sleep switch / battery connector was damaged due to the liquid spill. We often see this in Macs whose batteries weren't removed immediately after the liquid spill, but it can happen in other situations, as well.

You need a logic board repair.

As an aside, many would think that replacing the battery connector / sleep switch would resolve the problem. While this makes sense in theory, we've never actually seen this solve this "spontaneous sleep" problem. This part has large, spread out circuits that are resistant to spills. The circuitry on the main logic board is much more concentrated and sensitive to damage.