Catalina - install on a new Partition or new Volume?

Discussion in 'macOS Catalina (10.15)' started by udflyer, Jun 3, 2019.

1. udflyer macrumors 6502

I went to create a new partition and Disk Utility really tries to lead you to a new volume instead.

Does it matter which I create to test out Catalina?

TIA

2. haralds macrumors 6502a

haralds

If you have APFS, just create a new Container/Volume. It shares free space with its siblings.

3. avz macrumors 6502

I was under the impression that APFS volumes usually share an existing container and therefore are not bootable. Partition on the other hand creates a new container and is bootable. What did I miss?

4. stormchasejg macrumors regular

stormchasejg

Apple actually has a support document for using APFS Volumes to install macOS https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208891 works fine and boots just done it today

5. haralds, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019

haralds macrumors 6502a

haralds

They are bootable. There can be hidden size issues. I just added an APFS container to a larger disk and then realized that I needed more space on that new container. I deleted a bunch of files in the other did not free up the space I needed.
    Note that the installer will create a second APFS container for the data portion of the install.

6. avz macrumors 6502

So in essence I could have a Macintosh SSD and High Sierra as bootable volumes both under the Container disk1? No need for container disk2?

Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 7.27.23 am.png