Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

astonius86

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2017
Mt Juliet, TN
I used the OpenCore VMM spoofing method to install 10.15.1 on my 5,1. For the most part everything is working great, but I have noticed a few issues I wanted to run by the fine folks on this forum for some input:
  1. Activity Monitor is constantly showing "mds_stores" pegged at 100% CPU. I understand this is a Spotlight indexing process, but it has been running at this state for days now.
  2. The TV app will play downloaded movies and TV shows, but if I attempt to stream them from iCloud the play window pops up then immediately closes. I can download the content I'm attempting to stream and play it without issue. The problem seems to be limited to streaming and only in the TV app (Music and Podcast streaming work just fine).
  3. Night Shift is not available. I previously used a patched version of the NightShiftUnlocker kext for Mojave which worked great, however it doesn't seem to work in Catalina. I verified the kext is loaded through System Profiler, but the option doesn't appear in Display settings. It seems the GitHub project for this kext is dormant. Is there another option for enabling native Night Shift? cdf posted a link to his new version of NightShiftUnlocker

Last edited:

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
All probably because it is not officially supported.
I imagine you will have more issues as time goes on, just stick with Mojave.. ?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
1) indexing can take days. If you believe something is stuck. You can always exclude all your hard drives from Spotlight in system preference -> privacy, then remove them from the list, to force a re-indexing.

2) streaming DRM content can be very problematic on cMP. I am still looking for the work around, no solution yet.

Reactions: astonius86

cdf

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2012
I can bypass that "lack of HTML5..." page, the streaming can start. Audio works, subtitle works, but the video itself just pure red.

That's still a good start. Is this with SMBIOS spoofing and WEG?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
That's still a good start. Is this with SMBIOS spoofing and WEG?

Correct, mainly tested with iMac Pro SMBIOS, latest Lilu + WEG.

I almost tested all possible shikigva setting, only 1 and 64 really matter. All others are irrelevant in this case, or even make things worse.

Reactions: cdf

astonius86

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2017
Mt Juliet, TN
Thanks for all the input, gentlemen. I did try playing with the shiki settings. The best I could do was recreate what @h9826790 was seeing: lack of Netflix streaming in Safari and audio with a red screen in the TV app. This was using OpenCore 0.5.2, Lilu 1.3.9, WhateverGreen 1.3.4, and boot-args "shikigva=97 shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94 -no_compat_check". Swordsmith demo runs like a champ, so HEVC decode appears to be working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.