Catalina killed my speakers

Aviisr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2020
Hello all!

I have MBA mid 2013.

yesterday I updated to 10.15.4 and suddenly I noticed the speakers don’t work anymore.
Trying to volume up / down shows me icon of a circle and diagonal line on it under the speaker icon.

checking the per fences show me there isn’t anyinternal speakers recognized.

tried restart,smc reset, coreaudio kill and all I could find on the forums.

anyonecan suggest any other way since the Apple stores are closed...

Thanks,
Avi

flowrider

macrumors 603
Nov 23, 2012
When I updated I lost my speakers too. My sound went to the internal speaker. When I went into the "Sound" Preference Pane, the Headphone Port was no longer listed. I unplugged the cable from the headphone jack and replugged it. Voila it was again listed. I chose it and my Klipsch have worked since.

Lou

Aviisr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2020
Hey Chabig,

Unfortunately, I tried it this morning. still didn't work.

I seriously hate Catalina

chabig

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Don't hate Catalina. We will figure this out. Do the speakers show up in Audio Midi Setup (Applications > Utilities)?

chabig

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Well we know you Mac has speakers, so it has to be software. You said it's a 2013 machine. If you've been doing in-place updates for years, it's very possible that it's time for a clean install. I know it takes time and isn't something you want to do, but it ought to fix your problem. Do you know how?

Before doing that, you could also run a simple test...do a clean install of Catalina on an empty external drive and then boot from that drive. See if the speakers work.

Aviisr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2020
Well,

I knew it will come to that. I did a back up. Ill update on what goes...

AxiomaticRubric

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2010
On Mars, Praising the Omnissiah
When you tried to reset the PRAM did you see the Mac restart screen once, or twice? Normally a PRAM reset causes one restart, followed by another restart that goes to the login screen.

Last edited:

Aviisr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2020
When you tried to reset the PRAM did you see the Mac restart screen once, or twice? Normally a PRAM reset causes one restart, followed by another restart that goes to the login screen.

I did it twice as said.

I can connect my AirPods to the Mac and have sound. I just don't have any option to use the internal speakers since the update.

And with my luck, I am no near a place with a broadband internet so I have to wait for Sunday for clean install to rule out software mess that the update did.