Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nicolaselhani

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
Hi,

In past versions of macOS and before the new Reminders update, the ability to backup Reminders was there in case the data on iCloud was compromised. I see that this option is no longer there.

I was wandering if anyone had a tip to actually backup the data or work-around, if not what other methods do you use to back them up (like simply taking a screenshot for example), as all other iCloud apps like Safari Bookmarks, Calendars, Contacts, Notes etc have the ability to be backed up.

Thanks,

Nick

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I noticed the same thing and miss being able to export for backup.

I have been backing up my whole users folder that includes the data below in the folder ~/Library/Reminders. I have not tested it, but my thought is a restore of this folder would get you back your Reminders in a disaster.

Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 8.38.43 AM.png

nicolaselhani

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
Oh that's great to know. Thanks so much for the tip. I see that they're now SQL files, geez Apple, they're really hunkering down. So let's say the information was lost right now, by simply copy-pasting those files into the right directory ~/Library/Reminders it should just re-populate Reminders?

Reactions: Weaselboy

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I see that they're now SQL files, geez Apple, they're really hunkering down.
Yeah... this happened along with iOS13. I remember there was a notice to "update" your reminders to the new format and a warning you could not go back. So I suppose it converted to the new SQL format.

So let's say the information was lost right now, by simply copy-pasting those files into the right directory ~/Library/Reminders it should just re-populate Reminders?

That is my theory, but I am scared to test it and mess things up. The date/time of those files line up exactly with some Reminders changes I made, so it reenforces my theory.

Reactions: nicolaselhani

nicolaselhani

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
Oh I think I found something, haven't had time to test it out just yet! But I was playing around trying to figure this out, and in Calendar if you go to File - Export - Calendar Archive... it basically defaults to saving the Calendar archive in your finder as Calendars and Reminders 1.20.20, 7.21 PM.icbu

When I go to the file and show package contents, it shows a bunch of folders seemingly only related to calendars, but the number of folders don't much the number of calendars, so I'm suspecting maybe the Reminders data is built-in? I'll see if I can maybe create a dummy user account and test this out

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 7.24.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 7.24.27 PM.png
    418.7 KB · Views: 192

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
I noticed the same thing and miss being able to export for backup.

I have been backing up my whole users folder that includes the data below in the folder ~/Library/Reminders. I have not tested it, but my thought is a restore of this folder would get you back your Reminders in a disaster.

View attachment 889719
I wonder if there is some kind of timestamp (perhaps in the filename) that would make them immediately disappear once iCloud finished syncing after restoring them locally. Example: Performing an action in an iOS device just before restoring a local macOS device and brought old reminders back. Granted, I still don't understand iCloud completely.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I wonder if there is some kind of timestamp (perhaps in the filename) that would make them immediately disappear once iCloud finished syncing after restoring them locally. Granted, I still don't understand iCloud completely.
Could be... that is why I am little scared to test my theory. I see there is way to restore old Reminders from icloud.com, that might save the day in the case of data loss also.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Could be... that is why I am little scared to test my theory. I see there is way to restore old Reminders from icloud.com, that might save the day in the case of data loss also.

Yeah, I always wonder if weird filenames contain an epoch timestamp - I really should learn how to mentally figure those out. Good to know about restoring from iCloud dot com, that could indeed save the day at some point.

nicolaselhani

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
Just wanted to report back on my personal experience with the potential method of using Calendar's File-Export-Calendar Archive, that saves a file in the icbu format name "Calendars and Reminders, date.icbu" for restoring purposes.

First thing I found is that once the Calendar icbu is exported and re-imported (via calendar's file-import) into a blank calendar, which I did on a fresh copy of Catalina under a different iCloud account, nothing was imported either into the Calendar or the Reminders app. I subsequently tried re-importing the icbu file in calendar where I was signed into the same iCloud account in Catalina and it worked for importing only the calendar data, not the reminders data.

So from my experience the Calendars and Reminders icbu backup using Calendar's Export Archive, firstly only works if you're planning on re-importing the data with the same iCloud account (data is not transferable from account to account and is probably encrypted to 1 iCloud account). And secondly, Reminders data was not imported and restored in any situation.

Hope this helps clear some confusion. If anyone has a different experience regarding the restoration or any additional information would be welcome.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
PS. the Script doesn't include Sub-Tasks. If anyone knows how to edit the script for sub-tasks that would be great

There's no official way to get at sub-tasks. Apple didn't enhance Reminders AppleScript dictionary for Catalina and didn't publish a new API for applications to use. EventKit got no love.

Reactions: nicolaselhani

Mwni

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2022
I can confirm this works. You simply swap out the "Reminders" folders in "~/Library". Make sure to close the Reminders app and quit the "remindd" daemon process before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.