Catalog and/or Directory Fault

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hughvane, May 29, 2009.

1. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

After losing sound to my eMac speakers, no startup 'bong' (works okay through ext amp and spkrs), and then some quirky Finder behaviour via keyboard, I ran OnyX and Disk Utility firstly to clean up any OS malfunction and secondly to analyse hardware status. In attempting to Verify & Repair, I was presented with "cannot repair volume Mac HD, keys out of order". Most of the eMac functions are working fine, no problem with Applications or Utilities.

My questions:
    1. what exactly is this K-O-O-O malfunction,
    2. what causes it ... and to anyone's knowledge,
    3. is it an inherent fault of the MacOS (10.4.11)?
    This is the second time the event has occurred with this Mac, the previous time a Disk Warrior repair was required, Apple's Disk Utility from the Install dvd cannot deal with it :mad:. As the keyboard (a generic PC Chicony brand) appears to be 95%+ functional, the description of the fault seems strange.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

It's a type of filesystem error I've never seen before. :eek:

That said, still got DiskWarrior? It'll fix it.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

According to this thread I found, the keys out of order is a sign of file system corruption. The advice given is like wrldwzrd89 said, Disk Warrior. I found a number of results when I search Google for "keys out of order."

4. hughvane thread starter macrumors 6502

hughvane

Thank you, I too used Google for answers to the K-O-O-O problem, but missed that link. It still doesn't explain the explanation - if you see what I mean! I'd be interested to know how/why Disk Warrior fixes what is a system file corruption with a vague and misleading name, but Apple's own repair utility doesn't. However, I know what's required to fix the problem - including $$$!

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well Disk Warrior's site says they use a patent-pending technique so you're not likely to find out much in the ways of specifics unless you find that patent.