Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
That's a good find.

If they're quick to update for the next iPhone, that case will be high on my list.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Yea, I just got the 5S; so will probably wait it out for the 6s. (might jump on the iwatch tho).

Judging by the front it looks like it goes all the way to the top, so it might not have a lot of trouble pulling down the notification bar like in the lifeproof nuud case.

Hope someone gets it soon to give it a thorough review.

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
I'm curious to know how the sound quality is on this.

I hope he does a comparison between sound quality of the nuud and this case.

MobileReviewsEh

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2014
Calgary
Hey guys, what are you looking specifically for the sound quality? I can mention/comment on it for the final review.

We did the water/drop test this weekend and the case did come apart during one of our 6 ft drops. The iPhone is fine but it's a little worrisome that the case might come apart. Here's the water/drop test:

http://youtu.be/dH6c1jJ9kVM

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Hey guys, what are you looking specifically for the sound quality? I can mention/comment on it for the final review.

We did the water/drop test this weekend and the case did come apart during one of our 6 ft drops. The iPhone is fine but it's a little worrisome that the case might come apart. Here's the water/drop test:

Hello Aaron, I watched all 3 of your reviews for the catalyst.

The drop test was definitely worrisome as the back of the case came apart, but I'm more concern of the sound quality.

You mention in the review that there was some slight ridge near the bottom of the back panel that barely misses the speaker coverage.

Even though you said the sound was not as muffled, how is it compared to the lifeproof nuud for the 5S?

I currently have the nuud, and while it's not too bad, it's sometimes difficult to hear people on the earpiece, as well as talk to people on the mic. The sound from the speaker is not "too" bad, but I'm looking for something better.

Thanks!

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
Ugh, the case coming apart doesn't look too good.

I've arrived at the conclusion that waterproof cases inevitably have problems. The iPhone should be designed to be waterproof, because the cases just end up compromising functionality, and sometimes just don't work that well.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012

Thanks for the reviews. The drop test was pretty informative and keeps me kind of leery of this case.

What's your favorite waterproof case right now? I'm currently on a lifeproof nuud case with a teqii glass screen protector.

jkel777

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2014
Thinking about getting this case. I currently have the Fre but wanna try something different. However, I'm waiting for Griffin to fully unveil and release the Griffin Survivor Waterproof, since they give you a 15% coupon towards the purchase of the case for signing up for updates about the case. And it's cheaper at $60. Plus free shipping is always nice.

MobileReviewsEh

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2014
Calgary
Even though you said the sound was not as muffled, how is it compared to the lifeproof nuud for the 5S?

I currently have the nuud, and while it's not too bad, it's sometimes difficult to hear people on the earpiece, as well as talk to people on the mic. The sound from the speaker is not "too" bad, but I'm looking for something better.

Thanks!

Hey, the sound for the Catalyst case is generally as good as the Nuud. The sound coming from the speaker was about the same, to me the Catalyst sounded a little louder and the call quality on the Catalyst was much better. I couldn't recreate that popping/echo noise you'd get on the Nuud on occasion.

----------

aaron the ho?? seriously!?!

That's my name!

----------

What's your favorite waterproof case right now? I'm currently on a lifeproof nuud case with a teqii glass screen protector.

Is the Nuud still waterproof with the screen protector in it?

The Nuud is my general goto case. If I had to pick one with a screen protector, the Catalyst or the Otterbox Preserver would be my choice.

----------

Thanks for the reviews. The drop test was pretty informative and keeps me kind of leery of this case.

We did get a reply back from Catalyst and they said as long as the iPhone wasn't damaged inside the case and the case wasn't damaged, then the product is drop proof to the advertised height.

I'm not terribly impressed but in reality, I don't think most people are going to drop the case from 6ft.

----------

Hey guys,

Here's the full review for the Catalyst Case. It's a really good case but there's a big caveat for it.

http://www.mobilereviews-eh.ca/catalyst-waterproof-case-review-iphone-55s/

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
[/COLOR]

Is the Nuud still waterproof with the screen protector in it?

The Nuud is my general goto case. If I had to pick one with a screen protector, the Catalyst or the Otterbox Preserver would be my choice.

/[/url]

Yes the Teqii glass screen protector was made for the life proof nuud case. So it's basically cut around the display portion of the phone. http://www.teqii.com/shop/glass2mini

Anyways keep up the good work. Love the reviews.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.