Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Catalyst Waterproof AirPods Case, designed to protect your AirPods case from liquids, is now available from the Apple online store and Apple retail locations.

Priced at $29.95, the Catalyst Case is made from a soft, durable silicone material that keeps water and dust out and protects the AirPods from drops and bumps.

catalyst1-800x669.jpg

The silicone material, which comes in black, white, and a special glow in the dark shade, is supple and grippy, making it easier to hold onto your AirPods.

A loop and aluminum carabiner is included at the the bottom of the case, so you can attach your AirPods to a bag or a backpack.

catalyst2-800x706.jpg

The Catalyst Case is IP67 water resistant, which means it will hold up to water that's 3.3 feet deep for up to an hour. It's also ideal for keeping out other debris and keeping the AirPods safe in snow and rain.

catalyst3-800x528.jpg

While the Catalyst Waterproof Case is available from Apple for $29.99, you can get it from Amazon.com for $24.99 in a wider selection of colors. Black is exclusive to Apple, however, and the glow in the dark model is also priced at $29.99 on Amazon.

Article Link: Catalyst's Waterproof AirPods Case is Now Available From Apple

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
Seems like a solid product if you want your AirPods with you in rougher environments and attached to something other than in your pocket. Quite expensive though...

Reactions: decypher44

currocj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Earth
From the love of all good things, don’t ever buy a Catalyst product from the vendor site. I returned their iPhone X case and literally had to jump through 10 hoops. In the end they refunded me everything but the tax. I gave in exhausted.

Save yourself and just order from Amazon.

That said, their cases are mediocre and copy the awesome silent switch dial from Speck Sport case.

Overpriced and just get a Speck on sale for 1/2 the price of a Catalyst.

Can’t speak to this case, I have the AirSnap from Twelve South which I love. It may not be waterproof, but is certainly more secure and better looking than this one. I believe they are the same price on Amazon.

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I had this case and it broke right where the carabiner is. Very disappointing. Now I have the Nomad Rugged case for AirPods and it’s great

Shiro_Simba

Suspended
Sep 28, 2018
London
Why? Can’t think of a use case where my teeth floss packet would ever be exposed to the elements , let alone my AirPod case , I managed to keep my case in my pocket climbing Kilimanjaro...

Anyway , for those that need this ..... looks like it will do the trick .

jeblis

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2012
For that price, unless you need a. waterproof case, get the leather twelvesouth one.

vicviper789

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2013
I actually really like this idea. It would be cool to have just the EarPods in a little case on my keychain.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
From the love of all good things, don’t ever buy a Catalyst product from the vendor site. I returned their iPhone X case and literally had to jump through 10 hoops. In the end they refunded me everything but the tax. I gave in exhausted.

Save yourself and just order from Amazon.

That said, their cases are mediocre and copy the awesome silent switch dial from Speck Sport case.

Overpriced and just get a Speck on sale for 1/2 the price of a Catalyst.

Can’t speak to this case, I have the AirSnap from Twelve South which I love. It may not be waterproof, but is certainly more secure and better looking than this one. I believe they are the same price on Amazon.
Did they ask you to provide proof of jumping through those hoops? Seems like a strange request from a company, but what can you do?

geekymcfly

macrumors member
May 9, 2013
Maryland
Bought mine from Amazon two months ago and it’s a great little addition for the AirPods. Cost a little bit over $24 but the price should be lower. Would be sick if they added silicone covers.

mrow

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
What kind of lunatic keeps their AirPods just hanging off their backpack, waiting to be stolen?

matthew23

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2010
I bought a a similar one in Amazon for like $5. Fits perfect and gives the case a little grip. Wouldn’t spend $30 on it though....

Reactions: just.jon

Mario Loco

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I’ve had the Catalyst case for over a year. Great product. Is it ridiculous to put a case in a case? I travel very frequently. I’m on a plane or different city every week. I clip this case on my back back and my worries are over. I always know where they are. I have stretched the caribiner many times and it’s never broken on me. I would definitely recommend them.

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
I've had one of these they work well until the silicone breaks lucky it broke in my pocket
and nowhere else I would avoid

just.jon

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2017
I bought a a similar one in Amazon for like $5. Fits perfect and gives the case a little grip. Wouldn’t spend $30 on it though....

I got a similar case as well for $2 on Amazon. It has held up very well and there are many more colors available. I got one in red that matches my (red) phone case and watch band perfectly.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
If you want something simple to attach your AirPods to your bag, give this velcro pouch a try: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O2WHL4A/

What's nice about a pouch is that you can pop it out without it being in a case and it's not dangling around. As a bonus, if you're a photographer, it's actually a battery holster for DSLR and mirrorless camera batteries, which is what I originally bought it for. I've got it attached to the strap of my Tenba messenger camera/iPad Pro/MacBook Pro bag and if I'm out shooting I'll keep a battery in there and if I'm just going to work I'll keep my AirPods in there. It's also nice because it gives easy access on my chest if I'm walking to a meeting across town and want to grab them out real quick to catch a pod on Overcast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.