CATASTROPHIC DOWNGRADE MAVERICK to ML

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Stephobs, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Stephobs macrumors newbie

Stephobs

I know this post has been covered over & over, but I haven't read anything approaching my demise so please be patient & share if possible.
    I acquired a new mac mini late 2012 with a fusion drive & a 2,6 Ghz cpu. It came with maverick. The machine already comes back from a mac repear shop where they changed the mother-card because it turns off while asleep. This did not do anything & it still shuts off while asleep.
    Although there were warnings not to try to downgrade, I wanted to scrape maverick out & replace it by ML or best, SL in order to use Motion 4, a software I use a lot for work.
    I applied the method described here: (http://computers.tutsplus.com/tutor...why-its-there-and-how-to-remove-it--mac-31796
    & erased the recovery HD & the Mac HD to replace it with ML.*
    How dum was I! Now it seems I'm in dire straits.
    Even before I wiped Mac HD, erasing the Recovery disk went wrong. It left a partition named "blank" weighting about 16 Mo that doesnt show up in the partition part of*disk utility. This "blank" partition also showed up on the desk.
    I've created an ML bootable USB stick with diskmaker but I can't use it, the machine does not want it. All I have is a blank screen with either the folder with a question mark, or the globe, asking for the wifi key, or "message applesupport.com - 1005F", the circle with a dash and s.o
    I also tried cmd-option-r, no go: instal failed (see photos)
    http://imagik.fr/view/126358
    http://imagik.fr/view-rl/126356
    http://imagik.fr/view-rl/126354
    http://imagik.fr/view/126351
    http://imagik.fr/view/126348

My machine is still under warranty for 2 years & now I'm afraid to lose it if I mention my stupid endeavours to apple support. Needless to say, I'm a complete newbe to mac os instal since I rarely change machines.
    I think I'm in trouble because I earn my living with my work in video.
    All I can think off is to bring it back as is to the repear shop & ask them to fix it or replace it altogether with ML.
    Frankly, I've just wasted so much time trying to do all this, I'd love to go back to maverick & get a rest.
    Thanks for your precious help
    Stephobs

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Apple can't void your warranty because of a failure during an OS reinstall.

Do you have an Apple store nearby? You could take it to them and get help with the reinstall.

If I was in your situation, I'd erase ALL partitions on the drives (likely after booting to Internet Recovery ) then using Internet Recovery, reinstall the OS. Mavericks should prompt to create a Fusion Drive, mine did when I installed the SSD. Create it if you want, or leave the drives separate.

3. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Get another computer (or friend) to make a Mavericks installation USB drive. This may able to solve the problem.

Anyway, why not try the warranty, at least give them a call, they may install the OSX back for you.

I don't have any Mac newer than 2009 model, can't tell if internet recovery will work without the recovery partition. However, it won't cost you anything, why not give it a try?

4. Stephobs thread starter macrumors newbie

Stephobs

Thanks for your prompt answer. I can still get acces to disk utility. I guess I'll wipe off what's left & re-install from the web. I tried this numerous time without scraping off what was left of my preceding attempts (left overs of ML or Maverick bootable USB.
    Well it's a little late here to do so, but thx again, I'll try tomorrow or go directly to the store: you're right; they owe me -;)

----------

I already 'diskmaked' 2 USB bootable with ML & maverick: no dice! I'll go to the store. SInce they did not fix my 1st pb + the warranty, they owe big time!
    Wish they could replace with a brand new machine with ML although I doubt... Thx anyway.

5. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

They don't "owe" you for you messing up your OS install, but they certainly should be able to help you.

For future reference, installing an earlier version of OS X than a computer shipped with is usually not a very good idea. While that model computer may have originally shipped with Lion when Apple released it, they may have tweaked the hardware slightly since then, or released a firmware update that renders it incompatible with the older OS.

h9826790 - With newer Mac models, there is no need for a recovery partition, internet recovery can be done with a bare drive in the system.

6. Stephobs thread starter macrumors newbie

Stephobs

I meant they "owe" mainly because they did not fix my economy problem at 1st. I'll call apple today & let you know wazzup. I think you're right about this buid thing, tinted with apple's mean mercantilism & programmed obsolescence politics...
    Again, thanks for you concern

7. Stephobs thread starter macrumors newbie

Stephobs

I finally called Apple costumer service: no replacement without apple care, bring it back to your apple bar!
    I'm just coming out of the shop where they were supposed to fix my sleep problem the 1st time. Ashamed as they were, they suddenly were all over me (super stiff when I 1st came into town, ya know, yer a Big Account or yer s…).
    The tech who changed the mother-board (600$) for nothing without even checking if the failure still went on before turning it back to me like you spit a pebble, was so sweet, he'll check on it on the double & will even instal ML as a "special favor" for free, although normally it ain't !!!
    I'm still pretty stuned since another authorized source swore it was im-pos-sib-le to roll back for a new machine pre-equipped with an OS, loss of warranty, uncompatible drivers & s.o, Unc'Mac might growl -;)
    Question: was fusion already there when this macmini came out ? This machine is supposedly costumized for each order by Apple…
    We'll see, I'm zen & I'll believe when I see my baby back in order. I bought it 2 month ago - well of course I went away 4 a while - & did not really use it yet ! Life is a bitch & then you die...

8. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Fusion IS an option on the 2012 Mini (still being sold as new right now since it hasn't been updated since then). When I installed my SSD and went to install my OS on the SSD I was prompted to create a Fusion drive using the original drive and the SSD. I do not know if Fusion was an option on the Minis sold in 2012 though.

9. Stephobs thread starter macrumors newbie

Stephobs

What's the name again of this soft that works in fusion supposed to ease up access to often used apps ? Seems cool, I hope it's also in ML...

10. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I believe you can do it with 10.8.3, but as I noted before the minimum OS version you should install on the machine is the version it shipped with, Mavericks in this case.

11. Stephobs thread starter macrumors newbie

Stephobs

It's still pretty weird you can't roll back on a machine that did not evolve since its release with ML