Catastrophic failure of Installer - HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ryanparanich, Dec 9, 2010.

1. ryanparanich macrumors newbie

I began downloading the 10GB Xcode and iOS SDK when I left for school this morning. Why the hell iTunes would create an issue with this download is beyond me, but apparently having it running in the background was a bad thing. When I came back to the computer the installer appears frozen with About 6 minutes remaining. Even though I closed iTunes the Installer window is stuck open, the Running package scripts... progress bar is still glowing, but not moving. It's been 20 minutes and nothing has changed.

What do I do?

One big question I have is, what happens to the 10GB of space if I force quit the program? It's probably 97% compete. What happens to all that data that I started to install??

Hopefully someone out there can help me. It's greatly appreciated.

2. ryanparanich thread starter macrumors newbie

Picture of what's happening.

This gray bar is doing it's little animation like it's thinking, but the bar is not moving. The time is not changing. Also, even though I have closed iTunes the Installation Alert is not going away...

Attached Files:

• Shit.jpg
      Shit.jpg
      File size:
      120.4 KB
      Views:
  3. zachsilvey, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010

zachsilvey macrumors 6502

It's actually less than 2gb. This happened to me on my Mac Pro. I just force quit the installer and everything was fine. There were no issues with Xcode even though the install didn't think it was finished. If you are worried about it, re-run the installer and it will just overwrite the originally installed files and you won't lose any hard drive space.

EDIT: It's actually 3.5gb.

4. steven56 macrumors newbie

There is a simple solution

1) Of course, close iTunes if it is open.
    2) Kill the ItunesHelper process. Here is how:

Open the Activity Monitor. Look for the ItunesHelper process. Stop the process.

The hidden ItunesHelper process (which is always running) was the culprit for me.