Catastrophic system crash and Lion

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Vikinguy, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Vikinguy macrumors 6502

2. Hansr, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2011

Hansr macrumors 6502a

It's so perfect such things don't happen anymore.

But seriously the Mac Store download comes with a restore .dmg which you can burn to a bootable DVD. Can also be used to restore a custom partition on the disk to use as a restore volume (the final version of Lion will most likely include a utility similar to Boot Camp Assistant to set this up).

Further here:
    http://www.tuaw.com/2011/06/07/how-to-burn-a-lion-boot-disc/

3. Vikinguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! Had the question asked by a mac hater on another board and had no idea what the answer was.

4. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

There is going to be a recovery partition, but that won't help in the event of a HDD failure.

5. Hansr macrumors 6502a

Nope best to create a DVD backup as per link above. I guess new Macs will come with a separate SD partition or USB stick for recovery.

6. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

I'm just saying what's on the features page...
    Search the page for "partition" and it will take you right to the recovery section.
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/features.html

7. Bear macrumors G3

I like how that section is labeled "Internet Restore and Utilities". Some people have mentioned the partition is only 800MB is that's true, it sound like a reinstallation would require downloading it again. Although in theory if you have a good Time Machine backup, that shouldn't be an issue.

Now if your disk dies, the partition goes with it. It's best to have a recovery DVD as well. Especially one you can do a clean install from.

8. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Apple is eating their words on this one.

They bashed the other companies for including recovery partitions, on their hard drives for many years. (It takes up so much space they claimed)

Now suddenly Apple wakes up, and decides they are going to copy the others and include a recovery partition on LION...

Apple Karma eh?

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I never heard apple say that, do you have any links? I'm not saying they never said that but rather I'd be interested in reading what thy had to say.

btw, they also said the iPhone never needed multitasking and look what they did ;)