Catch 22 = impossible to install windows

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by bjfs, Oct 17, 2014.

1. bjfs macrumors newbie

I have an Early 2011 13" MBP going strong with an SSD and original HDD installed in the optical drive. However, having had success with windows 7 on my old HDD I was planning to install Windows 8.1 (from .iso) on my SSD. However, for the past day or so it's been a nightmare.

I tried the official procedure but by editing the bootcamp info.plist so I could boot from USB (you can't install windows from an external optical drive apparently) partitioning as bootcamp wanted too.

I then tried it a number of different ways using disk utility etc and with an empty space

However, I always seem to end up with the error "“Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only installed on GPT disks“

I read some interesting stuff here http://www.royhochstenbach.com/installing-windows-8-1-on-a-2013-mac-pro/
    He points out that

"Windows 7 and 8 in x64 support EFI. Normally if you install Windows on a Mac and use the installation DVD, it boots into regular BIOS mode, thus can be installed on an MBR partition. I tried the same, but since the Mac Pro doesn’t have an optical drive I had to use an external drive. And apparently the Mac boots external optical drives in EFI mode too. The Bootcamp wizard is aware of this, and creates a GPT partition on a non-superdrive Mac but an MBR partition on a superdrive Mac."

This means Bootcamp is essentially making the wrong type of partition?
    My real question is? How do I install it windows 8? I'm really on my last legs!

I really don't want to have to open this thing up and reinsert my optical drive as its really really difficult to get out of the enclosure (would probably have to break it).

A huge thanks in advance!

2. bjfs thread starter macrumors newbie

Literally anything even slightly helpful, even if its going for it and putting that external HD back in then I guess it has to be done!

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I too have seen this problem. Boot into OS X and open Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities). Select your Bootcamp volume and hit "erase" and choose MS-DOS (FAT) as the format. Then boot back into the Windows Installer, select the newly formatted Bootcamp partition and hit "Format". Windows will then set the volume up for Bootcamp.

4. bjfs thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately this doesn't help

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Can you pull the hard drive and do it on another Mac or PC?

6. bjfs thread starter macrumors newbie

I could do, though I'm not so sure my flatmates would be that willing, would have to use a PC, what would the process be?

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Should be as simple as installing the drive into an enclosure or internally, starting the installer, formatting the partition, installing Windows, and reinstalling into your Mac.

8. bjfs thread starter macrumors newbie

He's given me the go ahead so that sounds ideal, my issue would be though, wouldn't the licence then be tied to his machine?

So windows doesn't install anything specific to his PC?

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You should be able to skip Windows Activation in the installer. Then when you put it in the Mac, you can activate it.

10. bjfs thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah yes good point, only issue I can see is the change in hardware when I put it back in the Mac meaning it won't like it and might not boot.

Thanks for your help so far, trying it now, really good idea.

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Windows installs should work fine when transferred into an Intel Mac. Just don't enter your product key during setup on the PC.

12. Gav Mack, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014

Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Catch 22 = impossible to install windows

With optibay equipped mbp you have to remove the odd cable from the logic board so a usb SuperDrive or Mac boot type external DVD can boot.

Dvd is a pain downloading the ISO image of your windows version and letting boot camp assistant create the usb is much easier and works on your model

You must run sysprep from admin command prompt before shutting down the other pc - google sysprep new computer windows 7

And the boot camp driver usb OS X creates plugged in..

13. bjfs thread starter macrumors newbie

It worked!

Thanks for your advice, running faultlessly (fingers crossed)!

14. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Glad to hear it is all working now.