Catch22: new 5s--can't get to mac address

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by 1stTimeIphUser, Nov 9, 2013.

1. 1stTimeIphUser macrumors newbie

I just got a new 5s and want to activate it using wifi, but I need the phone's mac address to do it. When I turn the phone on it goes into its initialization sequence and I can't get to the "settings" where it's located. My router filters mac addresses for connection permission so I can't connect. I could disable it, but I'm not going to do that.

Is there any "trick" to sidestep the initialization sequence and get to the settings menu? This is my first iphone ever.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Nope. PS: MAC address filtering is very weak security and is easily bypassed.

3. 1stTimeIphUser thread starter macrumors newbie

At first I didn't believe you so I did some homework. Holy crap, you were right. Thanks for posting this--I was clueless in believing that mac filtering was more or less bullet proof. A little investigation shows otherwise. However, even with the new understanding of this now, I will still leave it in place. It's does remain as another impediment to an "unsophisticated" hacker. Thanks again for the heads up--I got an education today.

4. tateu macrumors 6502

Can you turn off MAC filtering for 5 minutes while you setup the phone and then turn it back on? (or) I think you can just press "next" on the phone and skip wifi setup until later. This way, you can get it's mac address from Settings and then connect to your wifi.

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

So that's how u block the kids from eBay-bidding a car? :D

6. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

download iPhone configuration utility and connect the phone to the computer. Or pull up the logs on your router, when you attempt to connect the phone to wifi you should see the mac address being denied access.