Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
My 11.6" arrived, and I am really liking it so far. One of the things I notice about this trackpad is that it is not very smooth when dragging my finger across it, my finger squeaks across the trackpad and catches on it as it drags across, like it is dragging across rubber or something. The trackpad on my old MacBook Pro was not like this, or any of the PowerBooks I have owned. It's not a very smooth trackpad using experience.

Has anybody else noticed this? Difficult to drag your index finger across the trackpad without it catching or sqeaking/bouncing as it goes across?

WardC

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
It's not as bad with Tap to Click enabled, however, since I am not stressing my bent fingers and thumb and thus not pressing down on the trackpad as hard when I drag across it. This only happens when I am pressing down on the trackpad and dragging, it catches and doesn't glide easily.

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
My 11.6" arrived, and I am really liking it so far. One of the things I notice about this trackpad is that it is not very smooth when dragging my finger across it, my finger squeaks across the trackpad and catches on it as it drags across, like it is dragging across rubber or something. The trackpad on my old MacBook Pro was not like this, or any of the PowerBooks I have owned. It's not a very smooth trackpad using experience.

Has anybody else noticed this? Difficult to drag your index finger across the trackpad without it catching or sqeaking/bouncing as it goes across?
If you wash your hands before using it, it will be sticky. Wait about 10-15 minutes and the oil from your fingers will make it much smoother.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Funny you mention this, I was comparing the 13" MBA I have to the 11" I have to "test" out and while I thought it was just some OCD issue I may have lol. The damn 11" does feel more tacky/sticky than the 13". It's almost like a coating or something on the 11", I don't get the full on stick with my finger by the 13" seems more sensitive to scrolling for sure, the 11" makes me be much more deliberate in my actions.

I am returning both for a BTO from Apple as Best Buy has no ability to get me a 4gig version, but overall the 13" trackpad is what I expected after using a 15" MBP for a few years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.