categories.app ruined my life :(

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by theGAPkid, Feb 24, 2008.

1. theGAPkid macrumors regular

It has taken me best part of a week to finally jailbreak my iPod Touch to 1.1.3 with positive results. I don't know how many hours I've spent clicking restore and starting over.

So things were running fine, and I came across the categories app which "categorised" your applications for you.

I thought great and immediately downloaded, and made a folder called customise where I put system prefs, customize, summerboard and installer in. However, no folder came up on the spring board, the original applications were gone off of springboard also, and it said i hadnt moved any apps into the folder under categories.app itself.

I deleted the application, hoping it would return all my apps to the original places. However this has not happened so have I lost all of them? They're kinda integral to the iPod, especially Installer and System Preferences

*Sigh*

Is it going to be another long afternoon of restoring???

:eek:

2. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

I use Categories and it is great.

It sounds like to me that you do not know what you are doing.

DO NOT create folders and move files around in the root of the iPhone unless you know exactly what you are doing.

Instead, you are supposed to launch the Categories application from the iPhone and let the GUI do the work for you.

Let me know if you need more help.

3. theGAPkid thread starter macrumors regular

I did use the application.

All i did was run the program and do it like that. I never went into any root directories.

Your right, I dont know what im doing now, but I never did anythng other than use the program on the touch itself

4. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

Don't give up.

The great thing about this is that you can always restore your device back to factory status if you mess up.

Overall, I think that jailbreaking is a great way to understand more about computers and how your device operates because you are constantly searching for answers on forums and learning new computer terms.

Please let me know if you need more help.

5. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I have heard of some people having problems with the Categories app. I used it for a while, and didn't have any, but, you should be able to sort it all out. And there's always the magical restore button.

6. theGAPkid thread starter macrumors regular

In the end i restored it. Simple, and enables me to start afresh.

Ive always loved messing around discovering things too.

Ever since I was allowed to take apart our old computer. I sat down, undid it all and tried to put it back together. I learnt a lot from that experience and I think its from that which I get my whole "technological" side (or lack of! :eek:)

I havent installed categories.app again, but Im trying a whole host of different apps. Like you said, its only a click (or few) to restore and you cant really go too wrong.

Thanks for your help anyway guys :D

Dan