Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dadon123

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
Hi guys,

Just a couple of quick question before I do the upgrade from 2.2.1 to 3.0.

Categories - Do I need to take all the applications out of categories before I do the upgrade?

Contacts - I've backed up my iPhone yesterday and was wondering, when I do the upgrade and restore back, will all the contacts come back on again to the iPhone? I assume the jb will remove the contacts again?

Thanks

tylertech

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
NC
Categories - Do I need to take all the applications out of categories before I do the upgrade?
Yes, take out all apps and unpoof any that you have hidden, or else you won't see them after upgrading.

Contacts - I've backed up my iPhone yesterday and was wondering, when I do the upgrade and restore back, will all the contacts come back on again to the iPhone? I assume the jb will remove the contacts again?

Backups save contacts, texts, phone settings, etc. After restoring, all your data will be back (including your contacts) as it was before.
Jailbreaking shouldn't mess with anything depending on what method you use.

If you are that worried about your contacts, just sync them with your address book on your computer. Then just sync them back after upgrading.

Nanook

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2008
LA, CA
Crap. I have a lot of apps "hidden" in Categories. That advice certainly applies to people who don't plan to re-jailbreak, but wouldn't the apps "come back" upon reinstalling Categories?

tylertech

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
NC
There's a way to make them reappear if you do upgrade.

After upgrading and you don't see the apps, Go to Settings>General>Restrictions>Enable Restrictions
Create a passcode and confirm it.
Now Disable Restrictions. (and confirm your passcode).

The apps should reappear. However I haven't tried it on 3.0. But I assume it will work as well.

Los Feliz Slim

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2008
I am dubm

Let's say, hypothetically of course, that someone had most of their apps in categories. Let's say that this person wasn't patient and upgraded to 3.0 without removing their apps from categories. You should also assume that this person, woeful he be, had his Settings in a category so he wasn't able to use settings to get access to his invisible apps. Then, let's say that the person jailbroke with redsnow but wasn't able to get aptbackup working. Or Categories.

Anybody have any ideas for this person? Hypothetically?

KidneyMerchant

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2008
This person could, in theory, install SBSettings or BossPrefs (or they could just download "Poof!" separately) and use it to unhide all their icons. This would allow this hypothetical dumbass to get their icons back without re-jailbreaking.

thestaton

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2006
This person could, in theory, install SBSettings or BossPrefs (or they could just download "Poof!" separately) and use it to unhide all their icons. This would allow this hypothetical dumbass to get their icons back without re-jailbreaking.

or... go to settings -> general -> enable restrictions.

then exit out. go back in.

disable restrictions. all your icons are back.

golden3159

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2009
Lesson learned....always have SBsettings. You can't end up trapped if you have that as a bare minimum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.