Categories versus Built-in Folders

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sidewinder, Aug 12, 2010.

1. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

I have been playing with Categories + CategoriesSB because I wanted to use folder icons instead of the boring iOS generated folders icons you get when using the built-in folder capability of iOS 4.

Besides the folder icon, the only real issue I had with the built-in folder capability of iOS 4 was the limit on the number of items you could put in a folder. I fixed that with Infinifolders. I have no need or desire to put folders inside of folders.

So, the only benefit I get from Categories + CategoriesSB compared to iOS4 + Infinifolders is that I get to choose the folder icon. In every other way, I prefer how iOS4 + Infinifolders functions. I don't have to deal with hidden apps, slower opening folders, convoluted folder creation and maintenance, etc.

I assume some others out there are using Categories + CategoriesSB. What are your impressions? Have you had any real problems? Have you found any issues that cause you to switch back to the built-in folder handling method?

S-

2. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

Categories were much easier to reorganize.

Especially with Infinifolders, rearranging apps is a huge PITA.

3. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

:confused:

What?! The stock folders are way easier to organize then categories which is a PITA

4. sidewinder thread starter macrumors 68020

sidewinder

This is what I think as well. Once I got used to the Categories interface it got easier to use. But it is still not as simple or as intuitive as what iOS 4 offers. I can live with this difference because once I setup my folders, there is little reason to change them all that often.

I am more concerned with the day to day operational differences than I am with setup.

For example, with iOS 4, if I go into a folder and launch an app, when I quit that app I am returned back to where I was when the app was launched which is back in that folder. With a Categories folder, I am always taken back to the springboard page I was on when I entered the folder. I haven't decided if this is good or bad.

S-

5. bripab007 macrumors 6502

CategoriesSB was way easier and faster to organize, and the folders opened instantly, versus the slight delay you get when opening Apple's iOS 4.0 folders.

That said, I'm using the stock folders now, just because it's one less thing that might cause a respring, mobile substrate safe mode, etc.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

I loved CategoriesSB until Infinifolders perfect solution I drag drop then I can arrange apps the way I want alphabetically or by my most popular at the top. Infinifolders is the bomb imo. It's what Apple should have done! ;)

7. PhantomZone macrumors 6502

Was using CategoriesSB before iOS4 and prefer the new setup with Infinifolders!

I'm sure it will only get quicker and hopefully someone is already developing an icon replacement app for folders which will round it off nicely!

The fact it needs no maintenance, just works and essentially requires no removal and reorganisation when upgrading makes it a no brainer here!

8. rmul86 macrumors 6502

Categories with categoriessb is AMAZINGLY FAST. Yeah it's a pain to have to go into the categories app to add or remove an application, but it's so worth it. Plus you don't have to use those stock folders, you can make your own icons.

9. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

I'm not by my phone right now, can someone let me know how much Infinifolders costs? Much appreciated :)

10. bripab007 macrumors 6502

11. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

categories is obsolete with the introduction of Infinifolders.
    just no need. another Jailbroken app to worry about draining power.

12. sidewinder thread starter macrumors 68020

sidewinder

I use PkgBackup to backup up my Jailbreak setup. One really nice feature of PkgBackup is that it understands Categories folders and will automatically backup the folder setup if you turn that option on.

The only reason I went with Categories was to so I could choose the icons for the folders. CategoriesSB makes Categories usable. I am sure that once someone comes up with a way to use whatever icon you want on an iOS 4 folder I will stop using Categories. But for now.....it's the best option I have and seems stable.

S-

13. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

Catagories was a pain because you couldn't drag and drop like you can with folders/infinifolders. Why anyone would choose a non-drag and drop method is beyond me. To each his own?

14. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

Seeing a list was way easier.

With Infinifolders, and more than 12 apps in a folder, dragging and arranging apps is a huge pain in the ass. There is no scrolling in the folder while holding an app, which means if you want to put something from the bottom to the top, you'll have to drop it and scroll up like 2-3 times.

CategoriesSB was awesome because they opened instantly, and they eventually got rid of the need to respring after making changes.

That said, I'm using stock folders+infinifolders for now. But I may go back to CategoriesSB.

15. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

I haven't yet put Categories and CategoriesSB on my iPhone 4, only on the iPad, but I already like it WAY better than the iOS 4 solution. I prefer sorting from a list, there's no stupid 12 app limitation, and I love being able to pick my own icon. Yeah, it would be nice to be able to just drag and drop occasionally, but I think I can live without that.

I'm seriously considering using it on the phone too, unless there's some major bug with doing so.

16. sidewinder thread starter macrumors 68020

sidewinder

I have been using Categories with CategoriesSB for a few days now on my iPhone 4 and overall I am very happy with how it is working out. Id o have a couple of issues though.

1. Why have the option to show the dock if you can't tap and open anything on the dock? Is this a bug or a feature? If it is not a bug, it is something that should be changed. I would like to see the dock and I would like to be able to run any app or open a folder on the dock. The only reason (not a very good one either) it makes any sense now is purely cosmetic.

2. There is a bug were sometimes tapping on an app in a Categories folder fails to open the app and you taken back to the springboard. This doesn't happen too often but it is a minor annoyance I could do without.

Other than that, I am happy and plan on continuing to use Categories with CategoriesSB. I very much like having my own folder icons. Now all we need to hires versions of the icons!

S-

17. sidewinder thread starter macrumors 68020

sidewinder

This is a bug that occurs when you copy settings to all folders. I have reported it.

Otherwise, Categories with CategoriesSB is working well and I am happy with them.

S-

18. Bakakage macrumors 6502

No wonder, mine used to work before I did apply all settings. Have you found a way to fix it?

19. sidewinder thread starter macrumors 68020

sidewinder

You mean other than recreating all my folders? No. But that wasn't too painful. If I hear back from BigBoss I will report back here.

S-

20. Bakakage macrumors 6502

I don't have hundreds of apps or anything so I don't mind creating new categories too much, thanks for the info.