Category 6 Network Connectors!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by oli2140, Oct 1, 2008.

1. oli2140 macrumors 6502

Hi,

I am about to purchase 305m of FTP Cat6 Network Cable (http://www.comms-express.com/products/cat6-ftp-shielded-lsoh-4-pair-cable-305mt-box/) for an electrician to thread through my house's walls to points all around the house. I plan for all wires to start at a central place in cupboard to then be wired into faceplates in other rooms. All of these wires will then have RJ45 connectors on the end in the cupboard to plug directly into a network switch.

HOWEVER

I can't find any network cable connectors that actually say Cat6, they all say for Cat5 and Cat5e cables. Will these still work?

*Update* I have just found cat6 connectors from maplin priced at £3!!! Is this really the price I must pay??

Thanks for reading

Oli

2. VoR macrumors 6502a

They're harder to find because the termination required to stay at cat6 is a bit more tricky than using a £5 hand crimper. The cable you linked is shielded too which is a little more complicated.
    If I were you I'd just put on any normal connectors you find. You can always remove them later and pay for a commissioned install - but you don't really need to bother as whatever you use will easily handle anything your machines can push.
    You can buy cat6 patch panels for next to nothing and a load of 0.3m patch cables or something if you want to keep your cupboard install neater - You won't have to crimp any connectors either.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Category 6 is backward-compatible with Category 5. The newer standard is supposed to be more stringent to accommodate Gigabit Ethernet. Like you, I have never actually seen an Ethernet port that specified Cat6. To the contrary, Macs have featured Gigabit Ethernet since 1957, but Cat5 has worked just fine on Macs. Whether you use Cat5, Cat5e, or Cat6, you can expect your Ethernet connection to work.

4. pointycollars macrumors regular

On the UniMac-1 supercomputer that could do an amazing 20 calculations per minute and featured new punch-card memory systems. :p

5. oli2140 thread starter macrumors 6502

No way, that's almost one a second!

6. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

I was recently bragging about the Cat 2 cable from my 1979 Commodore 64... little did I know how far ahead of the curve Mac was at that time :) .

7. el3ctone macrumors member

you have to see what ure CAT6 cables say on the sleeve or box.

Cat6 comes in two types one running 24awg, just like the Cat5 and 5e, and another type running 23awg strands.

I just did installation at my home and ran 4000 feet of CAT6 and mine are 23AWG, and will need to use CAT6 connectors for sure, because the individual pairs are too thick to fit into the regular jacks.

Also, although maybe our eyes can't see the difference in the jacks, they are supposedly engineered in a way, that if you use a CAT5e jack with CAT6 cables, the capacity or bandwidth of the cable will downgrade to CAT5e standards, and the same if you use 5e with 5 jacks.

Hope i made sense.

Josh

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

Here's a list of RJ-45 Cat 6 Crimp connectors from digikey.com.
    One of them is shielded, the rest aren't, so be sure to order the correct type. ;)
    All of them will accept either solid (24AWG) or stranded (23AWG). :)
    Just don't order the bottom part unless you want 2000 of them. :eek: :p

They will ship internationally. :D
    You may also be able to use the part numbers somewhere in the UK.

Edit: I checked Maplin, and realized it's a 10 pack, so ~$.30GBP each, VAT included.