Category app after restore

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by gadgetdad, Oct 7, 2008.

1. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

iPhone jailbroken 2.1. I had all my games in one category folder. Then I got locked up installing an theme from installer so I had to restore. Now I have a non-jailbroken iPhone but its missing all the games that were in that folder. I assume the're there because iTunes re-installed them but they are hidden. Must I re-jailbreak and install categories to retrieve them? I was going to wait for 2.2 to come out before I re-jailbroke it.

Thanks in advance.

2. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

This happened to me last week as well. Not sure if there is another way of doing it, (SSH?), but I had to re-jailbreak my phone in in order to be able to access my App's hidden in folders.

3. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Categories does some screwy stuff if you restore without undoing your folders first.

I updated to 2.1 with categories installed, and I got the Apple Logo of Death.

I had to restore fresh again, and re-jailbreak.

Later, I got the idea to restore my backup (believe it or not, I didn't know how to do that!), and I did it with Categories still active, and everything in folders.

The apps that were in the folders, became duplicated! I had them in the folders, and on the springboard! I had to delete both, resync with iTunes again, and set up my Categories folders again.

I've learned from the past, and I now realize that any time I update, or restore, I need to remove the apps from the folders, and deactivate Categories first!

A positive did come from all of that though--I now understand the need for the ominous warning when you first install Categories! :eek:

4. gadgetdad thread starter macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

Well to answer my own question, you have to restore and setup your phone as a new phone, not from a backup.

Now I will wait for 2.2 before I re-jailbreak. Should be pretty soon.

5. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the post. I was using Catagories but decided not to use it now. I do have a question though, I just jailbroke my phone yesterday, when I do a backup does it backup the jailbreak settings or just the Apple settings?

6. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

It remembers some of your jailbreak settings. I just restored today and after jailbreaking the phone still remembered that I had numerical battery enabled. It also restored my settings for stack.

7. Lance Lucas macrumors newbie

Found these threads and posts via Google, many apologizes if I'm stepping on any toes.

Does setting it up as a new phone mean losing all of my SMS messages and Notes and other app-specific stuff, or is there a way to restore that? I use MobileMe, so I would be OK for Contacts and Calendar and such.

I had the same thing happen to me today when I decided to unjailbreak and upgrade to 2.2. Numerical battery is still enabled. Sounds like setup as a new phone may be my only option to disable it?

Thanks!

8. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

It restores your mail, sms and stuff. not sure about Notes as I never use that app.

You can use BossPrefs or SBSettings to disable numerical battery. Just go into their options/config or more sections and you'll see a toggle for it.