Causes of data corruption on SDHC cards

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by djrobsd, Sep 10, 2011.

1. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

I recently came back from a trip to New York City. Fortunately for me, most of the photos I took were on my iPhone 4 and they are all safe and secure. However, during my visit to Central Park and Rockafeller Center I did use my Panasonic TZ5 camera which has always taken outstanding photos for me.

I have been using Transcend SDHC class 6 8GB memory cards (purchased on Amazon.com) and they have seemed to work well in the past. However, while on top of the Rockafeller Center, I decided to make a panoramic video of the view. A few seconds into the video, the camera freaked out and displayed a message saying something like "flash memory too slow for video recording" or something to that nature. It was then stuck in "writing video file" or something like that for a while. After patiently waiting for a few minutes, I shut the camera off...

I turned the camera on and it continued to work fine for taking stills (I didn't try another video)... But when I got home to download them into iPhoto, I noticed that many of the photos (in no particular order) were scrambled. What I mean is that the first little bit of the photo shows and then some colored bars and then nothing.. On some photos they look like the way pictures look when you look at the film negatives.

I'm guessing the video file was what messed it up, but I've used slower memory cards before and never had a problem shooting video from the camera, so I'm really confused why it had a problem filming the video, and why all my other stuff got garbled.

I was able to get some of the photos back using data rescue 3... Which leads me to believe that they didn't get messed up until I downloaded them into iPhoto, but who knows... Any ideas?

Are Transcend cards usually good? Could there be something wrong with my camera? Should I do something with this card now, i.e. re-format it to make sure it won't mess my photos up in the future? Should I throw it away? Might something be wrong with my Panasonic that I've had for like 3+ years now?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to attach one of the photos so you can see what it did, if the system will let me.

Attached Files:

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

They are cheep for a reason. You won't find them in my DSLR or video camera.

3. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I've just bought a pair of 16GB SanDisk Extreme, and a pair of 32GB SanDisk Extreme Pro SD cards for my Nikon D7000. The Extremes are Class 10, and the Extreme Pros are the newer UHS-1. In total, I paid well over $300. Good cards don't come cheap.

I have had a flash card fail on me once before. It was a CF card for my older Nikon D100 and it was a good brand. When I recently replaced my DSLR, I was deciding between the D5100 and D7000. I choose the D7000 because it has dual SD slots, and one of the modes (the one I'm using) mirrors the data across both cards.

/Jim