Caution! Look before upgrading your library to iTunes Plus!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by uicandrew, Jan 6, 2009.

1. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

I'm surprised no one posted this yet, but before you do a "batch" upgrade to iTunes Plus, look at what you are getting, specifically regarding "clean" vs "explicit" tracks. They are trying to sell you a "clean" version if the "explicit" version doesn't exist!

I am a huge hip hop/r&b/rap fan.

As a matter of "respect" to the original artist. I never buy "clean" music. I buy it the way the artist originally intended on expressing himself/herself.

I noticed in my iTunes Plus upgrade list that there were 3 "clean" tracks," which surprised me because I NEVER buy clean tracks.

They were Jay Z's "Dirt off your shoulder" and Jeezy's "and then what" and another one.

I originally bought the explicit versions, and they want to charge me 30 cents to "downgrade" to the clean version, a different song! (i view it as "different lyrics means different song")

To be fair, those songs do not have an iTunes plus version yet. the only itunes plus version was the clean version

I have emailed itunes specifically regarding this issue, asking if I can get a refund for the songs that are not the same.

I haven't upgraded yet, because if I wait long enough, every track will be DRM-free and the issue will be a moot point.

However, the longer I wait, there is the possibility that there are some tracks or videos that will no longer be available. (case in point - I bought the SNL skit "Colonel Angus" as soon as it became available. It is no longer in the store)

2. BG-Mac macrumors 6502

Post back when you get a response from Apple. This is what is keeping me from doing a "batch" upgrade as well. Rather annoying.

3. blueglide macrumors member

blueglide

My explicit lyrics made it through the upgrades.

4. uicandrew thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm specifically talking about original "explicit" tracks that do not have an "explicit" iTunes plus version, so they upgraded you to the "clean" version.

is any of your plus tracks "clean" where it originally was "explicit"?

also, upgrading now precludes you from upgrading it when ALL the songs are made plus.

5. Marlon_JBT macrumors 6502

6. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

annoying that it's a batch upgrade too! i only want to upgrade my classical stuff where quality matters to me.

7. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I wish I read about this earlier because it just happened to me :( That's seriously just WRONG. A "clean" version of the song is NOT the same song! Shame on you, Apple.

EDIT: I should note that some of the "eplicit" songs did get upgrade as explicit, but some got swapped for clean versions. Maybe they could offer this as an OPT-IN option, but they should warn you and it shouldn't be done by default.

8. RTW macrumors newbie

Whine whine whine. This is not that big a deal. E-mail Apple's customer service and they'll give you song credits for the tracks.

If the new versions are submitted by the labels as replacements for the old versions, that's what you're going to get. There's no intervention on the part of Apple.

Make a note that you should never purchase anything *blindly*, and move on.

9. yOGi420™ macrumors member

yOGi420™

I don't DL from iTunes.... Buy The original or DL the torrent or a direct DL file... That is the easiest way to get what you are looking for.