Caution: MBP Buyers using 30 inch Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacMobay, Oct 19, 2008.

1. MacMobay macrumors newbie

I purchased my new MacBook Pro today, looking forward to using it in conjunction with my existing 30 inch Apple monitor, but imagine my dismay when first the "Genius" at the Apple store sold me the wrong DVI Adapter, there are two clearly on the apple web site. So after I go home and figure out the mistake I take it back intending to exchange it for the proper Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter. The "Genius" looks a little chagrined when he tells me that they do not have any in stock, I was a little irritated but just had them refund the purchase and intended to purchase on the apple web site and deliver overnight.

Imagine my dismay when the apple site states that expected shipping is 4 to 5 weeks! So basically, you can buy the new super MacBook Pro with the Mini DisplayPort that is not compatible with the existing 30 inch monitors, which previous MacBook Pro laptops are, but to actually use it at 2560 resolution you'll have to wait 4 - 5 weeks.

Just a little cautionary note at my expense.

2. macbook123 macrumors 68000

Thanks for this note!

Means I'll wait until the adapter comes along before purchasing. Perhaps in the meantime Apple will update the MBP screen resolution. There already are thinkpads with 13.3 inch screens with the same resolution as the 15.4 inch one on the MBP...

3. redmeister macrumors 6502

yea, unfortunate situation. you'd think they'd have the adapter ready for sale with the launch